Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hazel

Default Removing acanthus

Anyone got any tips as to how to remove all the "spawn" of growth arising
from taking out an acanthus ?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Hazel" writes:

| Anyone got any tips as to how to remove all the "spawn" of growth arising
| from taking out an acanthus ?

Nuclear weaponry? It took me nearly 10 years to get rid of mine, digging
that out many times a year. Glyphosate seemed ineffective.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hazel

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Hazel" writes:

| Anyone got any tips as to how to remove all the "spawn" of growth
arising
| from taking out an acanthus ?

Nuclear weaponry? It took me nearly 10 years to get rid of mine, digging
that out many times a year. Glyphosate seemed ineffective.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks Nick, and had it self seeded at great distance as well ?

It laughed at Root Out, although I couldn't do a real job with it due to
other plantings

Hazel

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Hazel" writes:

| thanks Nick, and had it self seeded at great distance as well ?

I hadn't let it.

| It laughed at Root Out, although I couldn't do a real job with it due to
| other plantings

Funny. That's what it did with glyphosate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Hazel wrote:

It laughed at Root Out, although I couldn't do a real job with it due
to other plantings

Hazel

I've had success with hoeing any new bits that appear - eventually it gives
up after ho-hoing back at you for a few years!

pk

Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JM

I had two clumps of Acanthus in different parts of my garden that I wished
to remove. I tried digging it up, as you did, but the roots are long and
any piece left in the earth will send up more shoots. So I tried a
different method for each of the clumps and they've both worked - I'm
acanthus-free this year! I laid thick black plastic sheeting (I used an old
compost bag, spread out with the black interior face down) over the growing
shoots from one of the clumps, securing the sides down with bricks to shut
out all light - and left it in place for a couple of years. I put some pots
of flowers on top to disguise the plastic.

The shoots from the other clump I sprayed with Round-Up - they do die down
but will send up more, which you need to spray again until the root system
is killed off. The time to do this is when the leaf is growing, from late
spring onwards. It's not too late now but you may have to repeat from
spring next year, and that should do it.

I don't know why the experts on the gardening programmes enthuse so much
over Acanthus - it's spiny, and invasive, and not easy to get rid of. Mind
you, I can appreciate it for its structure - but only in the large garden of
some stately home!

NB. Before spraying the leaves with Round-Up, you must cover adjacent
plants (I put plastic shopping bags over them) as it's a systemic herbicide
and you might otherwise lose them. Obviously, take the bags off afterwards
once the spray has dried on the leaves (you need only a fine spray - don't
over-wet the leaves). Avoid a windy day as you will get spray drift, and
spray when there is unlikely to be rain for several days.

PS. I found Round-Up also successful at killing off Ground Elder, though it
took several seasons. I had loads of it in my garden and now I have none.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

JM wrote:
[...]
I don't know why the experts on the gardening programmes enthuse so much
over Acanthus - it's spiny, and invasive, and not easy to get rid of. Mind
you, I can appreciate it for its structure - but only in the large garden of
some stately home!

[...]

From my experience I think it won't be at all invasive if you don't

coddle it. At my last house I had, for topographical reasons, to build
a long raised bed with railway sleepers along the lower side of the
house. I was skint, so I had to fill the bed with some awful stony
subsoil mixed with builder's rubbish. Acanthus loved it: given a start
with some better stuff, they grew well and the clumps increased nicely,
but gave no sign of invasive suckering. Plenty of seedlings popped up
in the path below.

--
Mike.

Acanthus Kate Morgan United Kingdom 2 01-04-2005 02:23 PM
Germination of Flameleaf acanthus animaux Texas 2 13-01-2004 03:36 AM
white "powder" on acanthus chaz United Kingdom 4 01-06-2003 11:44 PM
Acanthus 'problem' - no longer flowers Surya United Kingdom 3 27-02-2003 02:26 PM
Looking for source of Flame Acanthus Gene Hubert Gardening 3 11-02-2003 03:55 PM