GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   dead clematis from wilt, should I compost ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147549-dead-clematis-wilt-should-i-compost.html)

Gardening_Convert 09-07-2006 05:52 PM

dead clematis from wilt, should I compost ??

I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice :)

Charlie Pridham 10-07-2006 08:21 AM

dead clematis from wilt, should I compost ??

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice :)

It is ok to do so as the wilt causing fungus only lives in air not soil
(hence the plant regrowing) but I always burn my clematis prunings!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Tiger303 10-07-2006 03:12 PM

out of interest charlie whats your reasoning behind this? is it u don't want to spread disease and you don't think your compost heap will be hot enough to kill spores for example.

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham
I always burn my clematis prunings!

Charlie Pridham 11-07-2006 08:16 AM

"Tiger303" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham Wrote:
I always burn my clematis prunings!

out of interest charlie whats your reasoning behind this? is it u don't
want to spread disease and you don't think your compost heap will be
hot enough to kill spores for example.

thanks

--
Tiger303

I do not compost any garden rubbish but put it straight on the ground so I
assume there would be a small possibility of infection if the wilted
clematis had clematis wilt (most don't) In winter when most of the cutting
back happens I shred and drop on the ground as normal as I have a lot of
clematis, but I can't quite bring myself to do it for wilted stems during
summer!

garde_nguy 30-04-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gardening_Convert (Post 653602)
I have had a Clematis die from wilt , should I compost the dead parts
of the Clematis.

It has since regrown from ground level which is nice :)

If it were me, I wouldn't take the risk of composting the dead parts of a wilted clematis. Most clematis experts, including Raymond Evison, suggest burning the affected stems. I have had loads of trouble with wilt and I just wouldn't take the chance of having it spread any further.

Garde_nguy