GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to plant now (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147744-how-plant-now.html)

EagleEyes 16-07-2006 10:28 AM

How to plant now

Guys,

I am starting my garden in 2 months, the soil is ready and I want to
start "playing around" with some fast growing flowers any suggestions
or any website you can advice me? the area is pretty big so I want to
try different varieties and then with time start to select them
depending on which ones better adjust to the soil and weather.

Thanks,

PA

Sacha 16-07-2006 11:07 AM

How to plant now

On 16/7/06 10:28, in article
, "EagleEyes"
wrote:

Guys,

I am starting my garden in 2 months, the soil is ready and I want to
start "playing around" with some fast growing flowers any suggestions
or any website you can advice me? the area is pretty big so I want to
try different varieties and then with time start to select them
depending on which ones better adjust to the soil and weather.

Are you posting from UK and if so, where?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

EagleEyes 16-07-2006 12:27 PM

What to plant

Yes,

I am posting in the UK, but my garden is in Portugal. I am moving there
soon...

Thanks

Weatherlawyer 16-07-2006 12:48 PM

What to plant

EagleEyes wrote:
Yes,

I am posting in the UK, but my garden is in Portugal. I am moving there
soon...

You'd be better of trying a US or Med site wouldn't you?

JennyC 16-07-2006 12:51 PM

How to plant now

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ups.com...
Guys,

I am starting my garden in 2 months, the soil is ready and I want to
start "playing around" with some fast growing flowers any suggestions
or any website you can advice me? the area is pretty big so I want to
try different varieties and then with time start to select them
depending on which ones better adjust to the soil and weather.
Thanks, PA

Hot and dry are words that pring to mind!!
Look arounf the area where your garden is/will be, and see what other
people have......

garden sites:
http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...anches_PT.html
http://www.eventseye.com/fairs/event_tc81_9_1.html

Portugal forums:
http://www.portugal-info.net/forum/
http://www.pureportugal.co.uk/forum/

Jenny

Sacha 16-07-2006 02:22 PM

What to plant

On 16/7/06 12:27, in article
, "EagleEyes"
wrote:

Yes,

I am posting in the UK, but my garden is in Portugal. I am moving there
soon...

Whatever you plant now is going to sizzle! But with a little luck, you
could perhaps grow some fairly exotic things. I'd have a look around some
local gardens if I were you and see what they have and find out about using
water for gardens or whether you need to instal some form of irrigation.
Thinking of what you could put in now, I should think quite a lot of Salvias
would be happy and would give you colour but they would need some watering.
How about Bougainvillea?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

EagleEyes 16-07-2006 03:11 PM

How to plant now

No, it is in the north is not hot and dry. lowest temperatures in
winter temperatures are on average 3C and in summer the highest is now
with an average of 30. Rest of the year 12-20. Water is not a problem.
The backyard at the moment has beans, strawberries (finish one month
ago), onions, garlic, peas, cabages, letuce and tomatoes. I liked the
Bougainvillea option, will try to get some...

Next spring I already have a huge amount of stuff to plant, just wanted
to see some color before then!

Thanks

Sacha 16-07-2006 03:41 PM

How to plant now

On 16/7/06 15:11, in article
, "EagleEyes"
wrote:

No, it is in the north is not hot and dry. lowest temperatures in
winter temperatures are on average 3C and in summer the highest is now
with an average of 30. Rest of the year 12-20. Water is not a problem.
The backyard at the moment has beans, strawberries (finish one month
ago), onions, garlic, peas, cabages, letuce and tomatoes. I liked the
Bougainvillea option, will try to get some...

Next spring I already have a huge amount of stuff to plant, just wanted
to see some color before then!

Have a look at Salvias, too. There's a big range of colour, flowering times
etc. For example, Salvia confertiflora isn't flowering yet with us and is a
lovely rusty red while Salvia involucrata is starting to flower well and is
a bright zinging pink. Other things good for your climate and flowering now
or soon are the climbers Campsis radicans and Ecremocarpus scaber, plus
Mandevilla, Pandorea and Jasmine. You might like to look at the Abbey
Gardens on Tresco site for some inspiration!
http://www.tresco.co.uk/the_abbey_garden/plants.asp
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk