Old 22-07-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bookworm

Default Canna Seeding Itself

Sorry If I am repeating myself but a posting earlier has not appeared,
(may be finger trouble?)

I have a Canna that I bought in a pot that has flowered wonderfully but
I may have missed a dead head as now there is a large seed pod on the
plant.

1) Will the seed be viable?

2) How long do I leave it on the plant to ripen?

3) When do I sow it and in what medium & conditions?

Thanks

Old 22-07-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry If I am repeating myself but a posting earlier has not appeared,
(may be finger trouble?)

I have a Canna that I bought in a pot that has flowered wonderfully but
I may have missed a dead head as now there is a large seed pod on the
plant.
1) Will the seed be viable?
2) How long do I leave it on the plant to ripen?
3) When do I sow it and in what medium & conditions?

Thanks

Wait until teh seed pod is ripe and the seeds are brown/black
Save them till spring and then see:
http://www.karcheskycanna.com/growingtips.htm
I've never bothered with the filing/chipping and usually get a really good
germination rate anyway.

Jenny

Old 23-07-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry If I am repeating myself but a posting earlier has not appeared,
(may be finger trouble?)

I have a Canna that I bought in a pot that has flowered wonderfully but
I may have missed a dead head as now there is a large seed pod on the
plant.
1) Will the seed be viable?
2) How long do I leave it on the plant to ripen?
3) When do I sow it and in what medium & conditions?

Thanks

Wait until teh seed pod is ripe and the seeds are brown/black
Save them till spring and then see:
http://www.karcheskycanna.com/growingtips.htm
I've never bothered with the filing/chipping and usually get a really good
germination rate anyway.

Jenny

Only bother with the hard round shiny seeds the wrinkly ones are not viable,
speed things up by pouring boiling water on them sow 24 hours later they
germinate in a warm place in about 4-5days
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk