GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's this please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147976-whats-please.html)

DC 22-07-2006 06:00 PM

What's this please?

Hello,
Last time I posted an image, it was sorted in less than an hour!
Just found this moth, almost 3 inches across and wondered if anyone knows
what sort it is.
See http://i5.tinypic.com/20qgrb5.jpg
Dave C

Russel Sprout 22-07-2006 06:07 PM

What's this please?

"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
Last time I posted an image, it was sorted in less than an hour!
Just found this moth, almost 3 inches across and wondered if anyone knows
what sort it is.
See http://i5.tinypic.com/20qgrb5.jpg
Dave C

It's a Poplar Hawk Moth.

DC 22-07-2006 07:52 PM

What's this please?

Russel Sprout wrote:
"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
Last time I posted an image, it was sorted in less than an hour!
Just found this moth, almost 3 inches across and wondered if anyone
knows what sort it is.
See http://i5.tinypic.com/20qgrb5.jpg
Dave C

It's a Poplar Hawk Moth.

Thanks Russel, that's a great name you've chosen

DC

Mary Fisher 22-07-2006 07:53 PM

What's this please?

"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
Last time I posted an image, it was sorted in less than an hour!
Just found this moth, almost 3 inches across and wondered if anyone knows
what sort it is.
See http://i5.tinypic.com/20qgrb5.jpg
Dave C

What a beauty!

I've no idea what it is :-)

Mary

MadCow 22-07-2006 08:14 PM

What's this please?

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"DC" wrote in message
Hello,
Last time I posted an image, it was sorted in less than an hour!
Just found this moth, almost 3 inches across and wondered if anyone knows
what sort it is.
See http://i5.tinypic.com/20qgrb5.jpg
Dave C

What a beauty!

Three inches! Dave's lucky to have seen one so close, never mind got a
good picture of it.

--
Sue ]8(:)

Baal 22-07-2006 09:05 PM

What's this please?

http://www.uksafari.com/poplarhawkmoths.htm
http://www.habitas.org.uk/moths/species.asp?item=6069

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

La Puce 24-07-2006 02:04 AM

What's this please?

DC wrote:
Russel Sprout wrote:
It's a Poplar Hawk Moth.

Thanks Russel, that's a great name you've chosen

Ive got several inert ones - if you fancy ... They keep throwing
themselves to my litghs in the evenings. I've made a sculpture of them
at the entrance to my house - warning to all others throwing themselves
at me :o)