Old 29-07-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good crop of gooseberries

Had a good crop of gooseberries this year despite (or because?) of the late
spring. Last year I only had lbs. from the three bushes but this year had
12lbs. Many of the berries were smaller than usual though. Did not keep a
note of previous years but I am sure it was about the 5 to 6lb mark. A
friend who lives in Alloway, however, said that he had a worse crop this
year compared to last year.

Old 29-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message
: Had a good crop of gooseberries this year despite (or because?) of the
late
: spring. Last year I only had lbs. from the three bushes but this year had
: 12lbs. Many of the berries were smaller than usual though. Did not keep a
: note of previous years but I am sure it was about the 5 to 6lb mark. A
: friend who lives in Alloway, however, said that he had a worse crop this
: year compared to last year.
:

Massive crop here in Plymouth too. In fact this could be the best all round
cropping year in my thirty odd years of allotment gardening. Crops have been
wonderful. Mind you we have no water shortage here and can water daily with
a hose. No blight yet for the first year in recent memory. Pouring down this
afternoon so that is very welcome as long as the blight stays away

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 29-07-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Robert writes

[...]

I've had a very good crop of loganberries and strawberries. Gooseberries
middling, and rather small - that much later and lack of water beginning
to kick in. Apples are a good crop, but as yet they're only golf ball
size. But I think they've got their roots well down so they should be
OK. Mulberry is doing very well.

Where I can really see the effect of the dry soil is in the autumn
berries - a very poor set on holly and pernettya. I think there may well
be a lot of birds heavily dependent on bird tables this winter.
--
Kay
Old 31-07-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Trefor Jones wrote:
Had a good crop of gooseberries this year despite (or because?) of the late
spring. Last year I only had lbs. from the three bushes but this year had
12lbs. Many of the berries were smaller than usual though. Did not keep a
note of previous years but I am sure it was about the 5 to 6lb mark. A
friend who lives in Alloway, however, said that he had a worse crop this
year compared to last year.

I have a wonderful 17 year old gooseberry bush that I think was
mislabelled - I thought I'd bought Whinhams Industry, but that's red -
these are green/yellow. It me a 25 lb crop or more, just from
the one bush. That's far more goosegogs than I need!

Jim
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/7/06 23:04, in article , "Jim
Jackson" wrote:
snip
I have a wonderful 17 year old gooseberry bush that I think was
mislabelled - I thought I'd bought Whinhams Industry, but that's red -
these are green/yellow. It me a 25 lb crop or more, just from
the one bush. That's far more goosegogs than I need!

Jim

I wonder if it's one of the dessert gooseberries, rather than one of the
cooking ones. Have you tried eating one raw?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

25 lb crop or more, just from
the one bush. That's far more goosegogs than I need!
Jim

Gooseberries are also known as "hairy grapes" in some circles!
With your excess produce you could make some wine from them - it comes
highly recommended!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 31/7/06 23:04, in article , "Jim
Jackson" wrote:
snip
I have a wonderful 17 year old gooseberry bush that I think was
mislabelled - I thought I'd bought Whinhams Industry, but that's red -
these are green/yellow. It me a 25 lb crop or more, just from
the one bush. That's far more goosegogs than I need!

I wonder if it's one of the dessert gooseberries, rather than one of the
cooking ones. Have you tried eating one raw?

Yes. They do get to a stage where they are quite nice. I belive it is a
dessert - I have had other goosegogs in the garden that were never
anywhere near as nice, and never performed as well.

Jim