Old 29-07-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazelnut nut problem ??

I gathered most of my nuts last week, and its a good job i did as the
squirrels have cleared the rest.

They have left just the odd ones. I have picked these and cracked them
and found none have any kernals.

In checking some of my ones, I am at about 50% full to empty.

How can I check them without cracking them ?? and how do the squirrels
do it ??

PS

All my left over almonds have gone as well.
Old 29-07-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

good-boy writes
I gathered most of my nuts last week, and its a good job i did as the
squirrels have cleared the rest.

They have left just the odd ones. I have picked these and cracked them
and found none have any kernals.

In checking some of my ones, I am at about 50% full to empty.

How can I check them without cracking them ?? and how do the squirrels
do it ??

Weight?
Feel of them as you shake them - the ones with shrivelled kernels will
rattle.

--
Kay
Old 29-07-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I gathered most of my nuts last week, and its a good job i did as the
squirrels have cleared the rest.

They have left just the odd ones. I have picked these and cracked them
and found none have any kernals.

In checking some of my ones, I am at about 50% full to empty.

How can I check them without cracking them ?? and how do the squirrels
do it ??

Weight?
Feel of them as you shake them - the ones with shrivelled kernels will
rattle.

It must be a good year for nuts we have lots of hazelnuts and walnuts,
we usually leave them for the squirrels but I think there is enough for
all of us this time

kate
Old 30-07-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They are not ripe enough to rattle.

In fact there are some odd ones left on the bushes, that have just got
the end chewed off, showing the whites of the kernal, and have only
been half eaten.

Not sure why.

Old 30-07-2006, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"good-boy" wrote in message
They are not ripe enough to rattle.

The weight wil tell you whether there are nuts in there.

The skill will come in time.

Alan

In fact there are some odd ones left on the bushes, that have just got
the end chewed off, showing the whites of the kernal, and have only
been half eaten.

Not sure why.

Feel of them as you shake them - the ones with shrivelled kernels will
rattle.

Filberts (Hazelnut) catkins opeining in NJ ... Mike LaMana Gardening 3 27-01-2005 06:07 PM
hazelnut from seed sasha Australia 0 01-09-2004 12:48 PM
hazelnut from seed sasha Australia 0 01-09-2004 12:48 PM
Hazelnut bushes DRE Gardening 2 02-08-2004 03:34 PM
Hazelnut bushes Ann United Kingdom 0 24-07-2003 08:12 AM