GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148476-trachelospermum-jasminoides-variegated.html)

tresco 07-08-2006 05:33 PM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England? Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah

Charlie Pridham 08-08-2006 09:25 AM

--
tresco

It really does need a wall, it is burnt brown and loses all its leaves any
where it sticks above here, so although not dead pointless as an evergreen.
Also unlike the green leafed forms which will flower well in up to 50% shade
(but good light) the variegated sorts actually are shy to flower and require
max sun.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_1_] 08-08-2006 10:03 AM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

On 8/8/06 09:25, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

It really does need a wall, it is burnt brown and loses all its leaves any
where it sticks above here, so although not dead pointless as an evergreen.
Also unlike the green leafed forms which will flower well in up to 50% shade
(but good light) the variegated sorts actually are shy to flower and require
max sun.

We have one growing up a pole here and it has made a solid pillar of
foliage and flowers extremely well. However while it isn't in a greenhouse,
it is on a path between two of them, so it's sheltered from the worst of
the wind and cold. I'd agree that a wall is the best bet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha[_1_] 08-08-2006 06:08 PM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

On 8/8/06 10:03, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 8/8/06 09:25, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

It really does need a wall, it is burnt brown and loses all its leaves any
where it sticks above here, so although not dead pointless as an evergreen.
Also unlike the green leafed forms which will flower well in up to 50% shade
(but good light) the variegated sorts actually are shy to flower and require
max sun.

We have one growing up a pole here and it has made a solid pillar of
foliage and flowers extremely well. However while it isn't in a greenhouse,
it is on a path between two of them, so it's sheltered from the worst of
the wind and cold. I'd agree that a wall is the best bet.

Many apologies! I completely overlooked the (variegated) bit in the header.
Our Trach is NOT the variegated one.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

tresco 09-08-2006 05:20 PM

Thanks for the help, it confirms my suspicion that enthusiasm had got the better of me. I'll try it in a pot near the huse and move it into a cold greenhouse if the weather is very cold.
Deborah

Pam Moore 09-08-2006 08:47 PM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:33:27 +0100, tresco
wrote:

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England?
Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as
marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered
Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it
needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of
enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah

I'm not SE, but near Bristol. I have one in a tub in a corner between
house wall and fence, facing SW and it does very well.

Pam in Bristol

Sacha[_1_] 09-08-2006 11:02 PM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

On 9/8/06 17:20, in article , "tresco"
wrote:

Thanks for the help, it confirms my suspicion that enthusiasm had got
the better of me. I'll try it in a pot near the huse and move it into a
cold greenhouse if the weather is very cold.

Or perhaps you could wrap it in fleece? I don't know how cold it gets with
you but would that work?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Janet Tweedy 10-08-2006 11:35 AM

Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

In article , tresco
writes

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England?
Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as
marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered
Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it
needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of
enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah

I live in Amersham and still have one in a pot on the front doorstep
against the wall as I haven't got round to trying to put wires up to
train it up the wall. It seems happy if a little slowed down in growth
but I have seen them right up the back of a local house on a wall
facing north west.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

tresco 10-08-2006 08:46 PM

[quote=Janet Tweedy]In article , tresco
writes[color=blue]

I live in Amersham and still have one in a pot on the front doorstep
against the wall as I haven't got round to trying to put wires up to
train it up the wall. It seems happy if a little slowed down in growth
but I have seen them right up the back of a local house on a wall
facing north west.

Janet

Hi Janet
You give me great hope as I live in Amersham, too. I think I'll risk my original plan of growing it in a pot in a SW facing corner at the back of the house. Maybe I'll even wrap it in fleece if the winter is very cold.
Thanks to everyone for their help
Deborah