Old 07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Buckinghamshire
Default Trachelospermum jasminoides (variegated)

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England? Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
tresco

It really does need a wall, it is burnt brown and loses all its leaves any
where it sticks above here, so although not dead pointless as an evergreen.
Also unlike the green leafed forms which will flower well in up to 50% shade
(but good light) the variegated sorts actually are shy to flower and require
max sun.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Buckinghamshire

Thanks for the help, it confirms my suspicion that enthusiasm had got the better of me. I'll try it in a pot near the huse and move it into a cold greenhouse if the weather is very cold.
Deborah

Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:33:27 +0100, tresco
wrote:

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England?
Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as
marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered
Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it
needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of
enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah

I'm not SE, but near Bristol. I have one in a tub in a corner between
house wall and fence, facing SW and it does very well.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-08-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , tresco
writes

Does anyone have experience of growing this in South East England?
Various reference works regard it as a conservatory plant or as
marginally hardy. Would it be OK on a trellis in a very sheltered
Chiltern garden - or does it really need a wall for protection? If it
needs a wall, it will have to live in a pot. I bought this in a fit of
enthusiasm in a sale and now don't know where to put it!
Regards
Deborah

I live in Amersham and still have one in a pot on the front doorstep
against the wall as I haven't got round to trying to put wires up to
train it up the wall. It seems happy if a little slowed down in growth
but I have seen them right up the back of a local house on a wall
facing north west.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy