GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   when to pick two out of eight tomotoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148897-when-pick-two-out-eight-tomotoes.html)

JWH 19-08-2006 04:33 PM

when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a ripe
red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick the red
ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

Alan Holmes[_1_] 19-08-2006 06:35 PM

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!

Alan

JWH 19-08-2006 08:45 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

Bob Hobden[_1_] 19-08-2006 11:19 PM

when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

"JWH" wrote after

"Alan Holmes" replied to "JWH"...
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

Whoever told you that must have been standing up or you wouldn't have heard
them. :-)

When they are ripe, that is a good dark red, pick them and enjoy. Like most
fruit , if lifted up they will normally break off from the stem when ripe.
Tomatoes normally split due to cold nights (in the autumn), nothing to do
with ripeness.

--
Regards
Bob H

Alan Holmes[_1_] 20-08-2006 11:23 AM

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the compost
heap.

Alan

Ron Clark 22-08-2006 07:33 PM

when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the compost
heap.

Exactly. Splitting is always due to irregular watering schedules.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

I came, I saw, I concurred

JWH 23-08-2006 08:51 AM

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we
pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones
in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the
compost
heap.

Exactly. Splitting is always due to irregular watering schedules.

just out of interest, i am told definitely that in the south of japan, a sub
tropical region, when used for home consumption they wait until a small
split appears before picking.