Old 19-08-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JWH JWH is offline

Default when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a ripe
red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick the red
ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

Old 19-08-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!

Alan

Old 19-08-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JWH JWH is offline

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

Old 19-08-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JWH" wrote after

"Alan Holmes" replied to "JWH"...
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

Whoever told you that must have been standing up or you wouldn't have heard
them. :-)

When they are ripe, that is a good dark red, pick them and enjoy. Like most
fruit , if lifted up they will normally break off from the stem when ripe.
Tomatoes normally split due to cold nights (in the autumn), nothing to do
with ripeness.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-08-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the compost
heap.

Alan

Old 22-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the compost
heap.

Exactly. Splitting is always due to irregular watering schedules.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

I came, I saw, I concurred
Old 23-08-2006, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JWH JWH is offline

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we
pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones
in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the
compost
heap.

Exactly. Splitting is always due to irregular watering schedules.

just out of interest, i am told definitely that in the south of japan, a sub
tropical region, when used for home consumption they wait until a small
split appears before picking.

Tomotoes farida United Kingdom 1 14-04-2010 09:26 PM
The two faces of Carol Gulley was the two faces of rec.ponds Koi-Lo Ponds 4 25-04-2006 02:19 AM
planting tomotoes in hanging baskets Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 16-03-2006 05:11 PM
two problems, two trees LYNN FORRES Texas 0 17-10-2003 04:12 AM
Tomotoes Brad Harris United Kingdom 6 03-12-2002 08:13 PM