Old 14-04-2003, 02:56 PM
jane

Default Gardeners' Question Time factsheets

Has anyone here noticed that the GQT website factsheets have gone?
After a few comments on the BBC gardening message boards, I (and a
couple of others) decided to enquire what had happened. It turns out
that it's a costcutting victim.

I got a lovely reply from the chap at the R4 website,

"I'm afraid we no longer have the funding to produce the factsheets,
which were relatively expensive. I'm making individual items available
as 'listen again'
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fsheets/index.shtml), which is much
cheaper. I hope it will give people a fighting chance of listening to
the latin names enough times to get a reasonable spelling. It will
also offer the chance to listen again to the features, which never
made it onto the factsheets.

If you are sending a printed version of your comments I would direct
it Radio 4, BBC Broadcasting House, London W1A 1AA, rather than the
GQT address.

Thanks for your comments and sorry not to be able to revive the
service"

which I replied to, thanking him for his prompt reply and muttering
about disappearing services, money drain to digital (which I can't
get) and licence fees (though not at him!)

He then replied,

"I have no objection to your passing on my original email to various
discussion groups - and I'd be interested to read responses.

he more emails I have in support of the service the more likely it is
to be revived one day."

So there you are - once again we're losing out to a political agenda.
And I feel really sorry for this chap and the folk who've lost their
jobs.

*sigh*

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!