GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Camellia growing tips ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149168-camellia-growing-tips.html)

Gardening_Convert 29-08-2006 02:21 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Sacha[_1_] 29-08-2006 05:06 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

On 29/8/06 14:21, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Some of them do have a lax habit. If you tell us which yours is, someone
may be able to advise you better.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Gardening_Convert 30-08-2006 12:31 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/06 14:21, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Some of them do have a lax habit. If you tell us which yours is, someone
may be able to advise you better.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Well we've lost the little marker with the info on but I'm pretty sure
it was a x williamsii of some sort :)

Sacha[_1_] 30-08-2006 03:36 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

On 30/8/06 12:31, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/06 14:21, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Some of them do have a lax habit. If you tell us which yours is, someone
may be able to advise you better.
--

Well we've lost the little marker with the info on but I'm pretty sure
it was a x williamsii of some sort :)

I think C. williamsii tend to be of an upright habit, so perhaps yours is a
bit floppy because it's new growth? Ray says that pinching out a bit of the
top shouldn't hurt but "don't overdo it"! If it's in a pot don't keep it
too wet, will you!

Chris Hogg 30-08-2006 06:19 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

On 29 Aug 2006 06:21:48 -0700, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Camellias don't usually need much pruning, but lanky young plants of
low growing spreading types, with lax growth, can be trimmed back to
four or five buds in winter to encourage bushy growth from low down.
But unless you know the growth habit, I'd just stake it to make sure
it doesn't get damaged by wind in the winter, and perhaps pinch out
the bud at the tip. It'll put out shoots soon enough on its own.

--
Chris

Gardening_Convert 24-09-2006 05:42 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Sacha wrote:

On 30/8/06 12:31, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/06 14:21, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

[...]

I've found the marker it's :- Camellia x williamsii'Mary Phoebe Taylor

Does that help give some more specific advise ?

Cat(h) 25-09-2006 02:02 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

With apologies for the piggy-backing, might I add a couple of
questions? I have bought a camelia only a few weeks ago, and potted it
in ericaceous compost. It is now living in front of my very sheltered
gable end, but to my surprise, the buds it was covered in when I bought
it appear to be flower buds. At least I assume so from their being
well inflated, and letting through a little fushia colour.
Isn't it rather unseasonal? Is this going to mean trouble? Is there
anything I can or should do ?

Thanking you!
Cat(h)

michael adams[_2_] 25-09-2006 02:19 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

With apologies for the piggy-backing, might I add a couple of
questions? I have bought a camelia only a few weeks ago, and potted it
in ericaceous compost. It is now living in front of my very sheltered
gable end, but to my surprise, the buds it was covered in when I bought
it appear to be flower buds. At least I assume so from their being
well inflated, and letting through a little fushia colour.
Isn't it rather unseasonal? Is this going to mean trouble? Is there
anything I can or should do ?

All perfectly normal. Whatever you do, don't bring it indoors or the
buds will drop off. Buds are set as soon as the last lot of flowers drop
off, and gradually swell up through the summer and autumn. Following a
dry summer, water well in late summer and early autumn to prevent
bud drop. Depending on the variety it may flower any time between
November and March. Position it so as to avoid early morning sunshine
on frosted buds, as this can damage them permanently.

michael adams

Thanking you!
Cat(h)

Cat(h) 25-09-2006 03:01 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

michael adams wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
[...]

Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

Cat(h)

La Puce 25-09-2006 03:23 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Cat(h) wrote:
Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

La Dame aux Camellias, hey :o) Which colours will yours be?

Cat(h) 25-09-2006 04:19 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

La Dame aux Camellias, hey :o) Which colours will yours be?

Less of that plural, I've only the one - and by the looks of the buds,
it will be a very bright fushia pink.
And I sure hope not to end my days coughing my guts up.

Cat(h)

La Puce 25-09-2006 04:30 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Cat(h) wrote:
Less of that plural, I've only the one - and by the looks of the buds,
it will be a very bright fushia pink.

Take photos - it's like having a baby :o)

And I sure hope not to end my days coughing my guts up.

No danger. You're not called Camille.

Gardening_Convert 27-09-2006 04:58 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Sacha wrote:

On 30/8/06 12:31, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/06 14:21, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

[...]

Everyone seems to have answered the piggy backed question but not mine
, anyone ??

Sacha[_1_] 27-09-2006 06:06 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

On 27/9/06 16:58, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Gardening_Convert wrote:

snip

I've found the marker it's :- Camellia x williamsii'Mary Phoebe Taylor

Does that help give some more specific advise ?

Everyone seems to have answered the piggy backed question but not mine
, anyone ??

C. Mary Phoebe Taylor is described as having long extension growth and ideal
for being trained against a wall. That might explain its apparent laxity
now which is probably natural to the plant. It flowers in spring and is a
rose pink peony type flower.

Gardening_Convert 27-09-2006 08:15 PM

Camellia growing tips ??

Sacha wrote:
On 27/9/06 16:58, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Gardening_Convert wrote:

snip

I've found the marker it's :- Camellia x williamsii'Mary Phoebe Taylor

Does that help give some more specific advise ?

Everyone seems to have answered the piggy backed question but not mine
, anyone ??

C. Mary Phoebe Taylor is described as having long extension growth and ideal
for being trained against a wall. That might explain its apparent laxity
now which is probably natural to the plant. It flowers in spring and is a
rose pink peony type flower.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk