Old 29-08-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia growing tips ??

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Old 30-08-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Aug 2006 06:21:48 -0700, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Camellias don't usually need much pruning, but lanky young plants of
low growing spreading types, with lax growth, can be trimmed back to
four or five buds in winter to encourage bushy growth from low down.
But unless you know the growth habit, I'd just stake it to make sure
it doesn't get damaged by wind in the winter, and perhaps pinch out
the bud at the tip. It'll put out shoots soon enough on its own.

--
Chris

Old 25-09-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

With apologies for the piggy-backing, might I add a couple of
questions? I have bought a camelia only a few weeks ago, and potted it
in ericaceous compost. It is now living in front of my very sheltered
gable end, but to my surprise, the buds it was covered in when I bought
it appear to be flower buds. At least I assume so from their being
well inflated, and letting through a little fushia colour.
Isn't it rather unseasonal? Is this going to mean trouble? Is there
anything I can or should do ?

Thanking you!
Cat(h)

Old 25-09-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

With apologies for the piggy-backing, might I add a couple of
questions? I have bought a camelia only a few weeks ago, and potted it
in ericaceous compost. It is now living in front of my very sheltered
gable end, but to my surprise, the buds it was covered in when I bought
it appear to be flower buds. At least I assume so from their being
well inflated, and letting through a little fushia colour.
Isn't it rather unseasonal? Is this going to mean trouble? Is there
anything I can or should do ?

All perfectly normal. Whatever you do, don't bring it indoors or the
buds will drop off. Buds are set as soon as the last lot of flowers drop
off, and gradually swell up through the summer and autumn. Following a
dry summer, water well in late summer and early autumn to prevent
bud drop. Depending on the variety it may flower any time between
November and March. Position it so as to avoid early morning sunshine
on frosted buds, as this can damage them permanently.

michael adams

Thanking you!
Cat(h)

Old 25-09-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
[...]

Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

Cat(h)

Old 25-09-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

La Dame aux Camellias, hey ) Which colours will yours be?

Old 25-09-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Great! Thanks for that. Rather accidentally, it is positioned where
it doesn't get the early morning sun.

La Dame aux Camellias, hey ) Which colours will yours be?

Less of that plural, I've only the one - and by the looks of the buds,
it will be a very bright fushia pink.
And I sure hope not to end my days coughing my guts up.

Cat(h)

Old 25-09-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Less of that plural, I've only the one - and by the looks of the buds,
it will be a very bright fushia pink.

Take photos - it's like having a baby )

And I sure hope not to end my days coughing my guts up.

No danger. You're not called Camille.