Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Cuttings and Genetics

I notice there are some genetics experts on the forum. A question has gone
unanswered in my mind for a number of years because I didn't know who to ask
or where to look for the answer.

I've just grown a rhubarb plant from a cutting taken from my fathers plant
which is around 50 years old. I know my father took his as a cutting from my
grandfather. It may be possible that this too was from a cutting and so on,
hence the original "seed" based plant may be a hundred years or more old and
long since dead.
Can this process of taking cuttings of cuttings carry on indefinitely or
will the plant material eventually degrade or grow 'old' and die?

I vaguely recall that the aging process in animals is due in part to the
ends of chromosomes unravelling and not being copied correctly when cells
divide, a bit like analogue copies of copies of video tapes or audio
cassettes. And that the original undifferentiated 'stem cell' can only be
copied down around 60 generations (ie. copy of copy etc of original) before
the genetic material becomes too damaged for a viable cell to be formed by
division. I think this was also an issue regarding "Dolly the cloned
sheep" - there was speculation that she was born as old as her mother
genetically speaking because she wasn't cloned from a stem cell? I am
drawing a parallel here between animal cloning and vegetative cuttings - is
that valid?

So is there a limit to the viability of taking cuttings of cuttings of
cuttings etc? Is there any genetic 'age' associated with the plants?

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Delaware State Univ,USA-Research Technician (Plant Genetics & Molecular Biology) kal kalavacharla Plant Biology 0 30-08-2006 12:44 PM
Postdoc: Plant Evolutionary Genetics Pelle Ingvarsson Plant Biology 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
GENETICS OF AMERICANS bloodyank Ponds 23 28-03-2003 12:08 AM
GENETICS OF AMERICANS bloodyank Gardening 28 28-03-2003 12:08 AM
Genetics question K Barrett Orchids 16 10-02-2003 05:26 PM