Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Edging an allotment plot

I have a plot at an allotment that is under siege from couch grass, mares
tail etc. I want to create some kind of barrier around it that will stop the
invaders and prevent the edges from eroding. I have some old joists of about
12"x4" that I could sink into the ground although presumably they will rot
over the years. Another tactic I have heard about is to dig a trench and
then nail some damp-proof course against the outer edge to stop the
perennials before back-filling, although this would possibly not be
effective in stopping edge collapse. Does anybody know of trusted techniques
to ring-fence a plot? Has anybody come across purpose-made edging, perhaps
made of recycled plastic but more substantial than that corrugated flimsy
stuff, that would be suitable?
Grateful for any advice.
Anthony Ward, Bristol.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony Ward" wrote in message

I have a plot at an allotment that is under siege from couch grass,

mares
tail etc. I want to create some kind of barrier around it that will

stop the
invaders and prevent the edges from eroding. I have some old joists

of about
12"x4" that I could sink into the ground although presumably they

will rot
over the years.

I have used old wooden railway sleepers to edge the beds of my veg
garden and they have been there 10 years so far with no sign of
rotting. I think they would be about 8"x4" so smaller than your
timbers, but similarly old and hardened. I've not been able to keep
couch out of my veg bed in one spot and although I hate using any
chemicals I do paint herbicide on by hand in the one spot it comes in.
That seems to knock it for a full year but each year it returns. I
can live with that but YMMV.