Old 03-09-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conker Trees

How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem to be
under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and falling off.
They have been like it for some weeks and do look a sorry sight.
It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the dry year we have had
yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many will be alive
next spring if we get another dry winter.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 03-09-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem to be
under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and falling off.
They have been like it for some weeks and do look a sorry sight.
It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the dry year we have had
yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many will be
alive next spring if we get another dry winter.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

we have same thing here in Hampshire, noticed it just yesterday.....

dj
Winchester

Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/9/06 10:27, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

had lashing rain and wind yesterday and more fine rain this morning but
as I
write, the sun is coming out again.

Oh good, it'll come out here in an hour or so then :-))

It just has !

Steve

Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem
to be under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and
falling off. They have been like it for some weeks and do look a
sorry sight. It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the dry year
we have
had yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many
will be alive next spring if we get another dry winter.

That would be tree blight:

http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=59757

--

John

Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bioboffin wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem
to be under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and
falling off. They have been like it for some weeks and do look a
sorry sight. It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the
dry year we have
had yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many
will be alive next spring if we get another dry winter.

That would be tree blight:

http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=59757

Or maybe (now I read it properly) bleeding canker:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6KYBGV

--
John.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem to be
under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and falling off.
They have been like it for some weeks and do look a sorry sight.
It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the dry year we have had
yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many will be
alive
next spring if we get another dry winter.

Bob, did I imagine this, or did I read somewhere that these trees are
subject to some ne and rather alarming disease? I hope very much that
this
isn't what's affecting the trees near you and I would imagine that the dry
weather certainly has given them a hard time. Of course, on that note we
had lashing rain and wind yesterday and more fine rain this morning but as
write, the sun is coming out again.

Yes, Bleeding Canker, I thought of that but I haven't noticed any bleeding
from any of the trees near here, perhaps I'll have to get up close and
personal with them. I do hope it's not that disease because I don't know of
a Horse Chestnut around here that isn't showing the browning of the leaves
etc. we could lose the lot and they are some of our biggest trees.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:57:39 GMT, "Bioboffin"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem
to be under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and
falling off. They have been like it for some weeks and do look a
sorry sight. It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the
dry year we have
had yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many
will be alive next spring if we get another dry winter.

That would be tree blight:

http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=59757

It's a bacterial infection according to local experts. 75% of the
trees in the Leiden area are effected although not the two chestnut
trees in our garden. Were our two counted?

If it's bleeding canker, it's a fungus: Phytophthora (related to potato
blight), not a bacterium.

You should ask the people doing the survey, if you want to know about the
procedures used!

--

John

Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How are your local Horse Chestnut Trees? All those around here seem to be
under great stress with all leaves turning brown, dying and falling off.
They have been like it for some weeks and do look a sorry sight.
It's much too early for autumn yet so it must be the dry year we have had
yet it's now wet so a strange situation and I wonder how many will be
alive next spring if we get another dry winter.

SWMBO mentioned it a few days ago!

Alan

--
Regards