GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Verbena identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149392-verbena-identification.html)

Pam Moore 06-09-2006 10:22 AM

Verbena identification

I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Sacha[_1_] 06-09-2006 10:45 AM

Verbena identification

On 6/9/06 10:22, in article , "Pam
Moore" wrote:

I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

My guess is Veronicastrum virginicum - a favourite of mine. And my other
guess is that whoever grew it put a label in the pot saying 'Ver' and forgot
the rest. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ornata 06-09-2006 11:25 AM

Verbena identification

Pam Moore wrote:
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristo

I think it's Verbena hastata. See below.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2302/index.html

Charlie Pridham 06-09-2006 03:02 PM

Verbena identification

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Pam Moore 06-09-2006 05:06 PM

Verbena identification

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:02:17 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

Sacha and Charlie, I've looked at pictures of both your suggestions
but both seem to have more florets up the stem than mine has.
BTW it is just about 3 feet tall.

Pam in Bristol

Ornata 06-09-2006 06:37 PM

Verbena identification

Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:02:17 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

Sacha and Charlie, I've looked at pictures of both your suggestions
but both seem to have more florets up the stem than mine has.
BTW it is just about 3 feet tall.

Pam in Bristol

I'm still fairly certain it's Verbena hastata. I remember it from one
of the show gardens at Hampton Court.