Old 06-09-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Verbena identification

I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/9/06 10:22, in article , "Pam
Moore" wrote:

I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

My guess is Veronicastrum virginicum - a favourite of mine. And my other
guess is that whoever grew it put a label in the pot saying 'Ver' and forgot
the rest. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Pam Moore wrote:
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristo

I think it's Verbena hastata. See below.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2302/index.html

Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:02:17 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

Sacha and Charlie, I've looked at pictures of both your suggestions
but both seem to have more florets up the stem than mine has.
BTW it is just about 3 feet tall.

Pam in Bristol

Old 06-09-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:02:17 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I bought, at a Yellow Book garden, a small plant labelled Verbena
Bonariensis. I bought it out of curiosity because it did not look
like the bonariensis seedlings I have grown. Indeed, it is not, but
can anyone tell me what it is please?
Hopefully photos are here...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3925322
Apoligies if the quality is not perfect and for leaving two on their
sides.
The first was taken about 2 weeks ago, the other 3 this morning.
Please satisfy my curiosity.

Pam in Bristol

Verbena hastata?

Sacha and Charlie, I've looked at pictures of both your suggestions
but both seem to have more florets up the stem than mine has.
BTW it is just about 3 feet tall.

Pam in Bristol

I'm still fairly certain it's Verbena hastata. I remember it from one
of the show gardens at Hampton Court.