GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lavender Care (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149481-lavender-care.html)

Saxman 09-09-2006 09:21 PM

Lavender Care

Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots, i.e. feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Sacha[_1_] 09-09-2006 11:27 PM

Lavender Care

On 9/9/06 21:21, in article , "Saxman"
wrote:

Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots, i.e.
feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Well drained, full sun, clip back as desired but not hard into the wood. As
to hardiness, which lavenders and where do you live?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

June Hughes 09-09-2006 11:49 PM

Lavender Care

In message , Saxman
writes
Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots,
i.e. feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Here in the south east, English lavender is very hardy. Some people say
to cut the plants back hard after flowering and I have tried both that
and just leaving them. Both methods work but have different results.
If you don't prune them, the stems get very woody. However, it rather
depends on what type of lavender you have planted. I believe French
lavender is also hardy but have not been as successful with that as with
the English. There are other types, which are less well known and I have
tried most of them, with varying success. Pots are generally easier
than planting in the ground here in north London (so it depends where
you are based) but you have to remember to water more frequently and
once established, a plant in the ground is able to spread, where a
potted plant must stay put. As for feeding, I have tried both feed and
nothing, again with varying results.
--
June Hughes

Saxman 10-09-2006 08:53 AM

Lavender Care

wrote:

Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots, i.e.
feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Well drained, full sun, clip back as desired but not hard into the wood. As
to hardiness, which lavenders and where do you live?

I live in the South-East, so hardiness should not be too much of a problem.

I really need to keep them in pots for the patio.

However, I did clip a potted lavender back at this time last year and it never
recovered.

Sacha[_1_] 10-09-2006 10:10 AM

Lavender Care

On 10/9/06 08:53, in article , "Saxman"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 9/9/06 21:21, in article
, "Saxman"
wrote:

Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots, i.e.
feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Well drained, full sun, clip back as desired but not hard into the wood. As
to hardiness, which lavenders and where do you live?

I live in the South-East, so hardiness should not be too much of a problem.

I really need to keep them in pots for the patio.

However, I did clip a potted lavender back at this time last year and it never
recovered.

Most of the lavenders the English grow routinely should be hardy. But some
of the fancier ones aren't. I'm very fond of the green flowered lavender
but it won't take our winters.