Old 09-09-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lavender Care

Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots, i.e. feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Saxman
writes
Does anybody have any good tips for lavender care, especially in pots,
i.e. feed,
pruning, hardiness etc?

Here in the south east, English lavender is very hardy. Some people say
to cut the plants back hard after flowering and I have tried both that
and just leaving them. Both methods work but have different results.
If you don't prune them, the stems get very woody. However, it rather
depends on what type of lavender you have planted. I believe French
lavender is also hardy but have not been as successful with that as with
the English. There are other types, which are less well known and I have
tried most of them, with varying success. Pots are generally easier
than planting in the ground here in north London (so it depends where
you are based) but you have to remember to water more frequently and
once established, a plant in the ground is able to spread, where a
potted plant must stay put. As for feeding, I have tried both feed and
nothing, again with varying results.
--
June Hughes

Lavender care. dan21 Gardening 7 12-03-2012 09:23 PM
Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 08:01 PM
Munstead Lavender seeds LeAnn Gardening 2 30-03-2003 04:56 PM
Pruning lavender (zone 24/8) Polar Gardening 6 04-02-2003 02:53 AM