GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Surplus Runner Beans. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149571-surplus-runner-beans.html)

p. pleater 13-09-2006 11:55 AM

Surplus Runner Beans.

The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?
Regards...pp

Uncle Marvo 13-09-2006 11:59 AM

Surplus Runner Beans.

, I, Marvo, say :

The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's
lots left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the
bird table ?
Regards...pp

And/or the old people's homes, orphanages, pensioners ...

Do it unofficially, they won't accept it officially. I know, we tried.
Health and Safety, you know.

Alan Holmes[_1_] 13-09-2006 09:20 PM

Surplus Runner Beans.

"p. pleater" wrote in message
The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

Local greengrocer, mine always accepts anything surplus I have.

Alan

Regards...pp

Jim S 13-09-2006 09:30 PM

Surplus Runner Beans.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:20:23 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

"p. pleater" wrote in message
The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

Local greengrocer, mine always accepts anything surplus I have.

Alan

Regards...pp

You could make a chutney and give it to the WI.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2006 10:37 AM

Surplus Runner Beans.

, I, Marvo, say :

"p. pleater" wrote in message
The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's
lots left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the
bird table ?

Local greengrocer, mine always accepts anything surplus I have.

Alan

Regards...pp

You could make a chutney and give it to the WI.

You could give it to the WI, they'll make a better one and give you some
back :-)

Geoff[_3_] 14-09-2006 02:39 PM

Surplus Runner Beans.

Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

I very much doubt it. If you do not believe that, try one or two for
yourself - they are quite toxic to humans and people have been known to die
after eating them. Perhaps if you eat a lot they'll make you so sick so
quickly that you will not die - but don't rely on it!

Are they toxic to birds? I do not know but their toxicity to humans is
destroyed on boiling for about 20 minutes I think.

Geoff

Geoff[_3_] 14-09-2006 02:59 PM

Surplus Runner Beans.

P.S.

Providing the ripe dried runner beans are well boiled first they can be used
in chile con carne I understand.

Geoff