Old 13-09-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Surplus Runner Beans.

The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?
Regards...pp

Old 13-09-2006, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message
The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

Local greengrocer, mine always accepts anything surplus I have.

Alan

Regards...pp

Old 13-09-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:20:23 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

"p. pleater" wrote in message
The freezer's full and so are family and friends, but still there's lots
left over.
Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

Local greengrocer, mine always accepts anything surplus I have.

Alan

Regards...pp

You could make a chutney and give it to the WI.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 14-09-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just thinking, would the beans make winter food for birds ?
Would they be acceptable, say, dried and chopped or minced for the bird
table ?

I very much doubt it. If you do not believe that, try one or two for
yourself - they are quite toxic to humans and people have been known to die
after eating them. Perhaps if you eat a lot they'll make you so sick so
quickly that you will not die - but don't rely on it!

Are they toxic to birds? I do not know but their toxicity to humans is
destroyed on boiling for about 20 minutes I think.

Geoff

Old 14-09-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

P.S.

Providing the ripe dried runner beans are well boiled first they can be used
in chile con carne I understand.

Geoff

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Surplus pots... Jim United Kingdom 9 14-10-2003 01:02 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM
surplus tech gear mhagen alt.forestry 19 13-03-2003 03:08 AM