Old 18-09-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default blackberries by road / 15th sept

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"fourmations" wrote in message
hi all

I live on a small main road and have wild blackberries
in the front garden (about 30 foot from road)

would these be bad/dangerous to eat
(after thorough washing obviously)

I would never pick blackberries from a roadside, not because of
animal contamination but because of deposits from exhausts. They're
not water soluble so can't be washed off. the distance you state
should be enough barrier to prevent most of that.

I would be interested to know just what deposits you would expect?
Unleaded fuels have removed the nastiest one, and catalytic
converters remove most of the gases. Diesels are chucking out
particulates, but they are mostly carbon. I'm not suggesting that
you are wrong - I wouldn't eat blackberries from the side of the
road either, but I'd really like to know which deposits you are
thinking of.

'Mostly carbon' you say - what are the rest? Exhaust gases from any
source are rarely 100% 'clean' because engines are rarely 100%
efficient. I'm prepared to stick out my neck and say that the
majority of exhaust gases leave greasy deposits. That's why I
wouldn't eat them.
Why wouldn't you eat brambles from the side of the road?

Mary

It's not the 'engine' that is significant; the gases (including the
organics) have to pass through the catalytic converter, which effectively
burns off the organics. I agree that not all catalytic converters are fully
effective - that is the point of the MOT test - and we all know that not
everyone has an MOT test, and even if they did, not all cars are going to
pass. 'Greasy' does not mean toxic. Butter is grease.

To answer your last question - because I don't need to - the damn things
grow in my garden!

John.

Old 19-09-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Not that I have much confidence in the FSA ...

The FSA are working to directives kindly supplied to them by the EU most of
he time. They then go to such as TESCO [spits] who say that they can't
implement them in such a short timescale, usually after a year or so, and
the FSA give them special dispensations because they are this :

big.

Shop at these places at your peril.

Old 19-09-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Not that I have much confidence in the FSA ...

The FSA are working to directives kindly supplied to them by the EU most
of he time. They then go to such as TESCO [spits] who say that they can't
implement them in such a short timescale, usually after a year or so, and
the FSA give them special dispensations because they are this :

big.

Shop at these places at your peril.

Not really correct. The FSA liaise with the big food manufacturers who ask
for extra time. Tesco just flog the stuff.

Old 19-09-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Not that I have much confidence in the FSA ...

The FSA are working to directives kindly supplied to them by the EU
most of he time. They then go to such as TESCO [spits] who say that
they can't implement them in such a short timescale, usually after a
year or so, and the FSA give them special dispensations because they
are this : big.

Shop at these places at your peril.

Not really correct. The FSA liaise with the big food manufacturers
who ask for extra time. Tesco just flog the stuff.

Based on fact, that was.

Things like labelling and such. Sell by dates, all sorts.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do cats pee on the high ones?
What's wrong with cat pee anyway? Isn't it sterile?

Old 19-09-2006, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Do cats pee on the high ones?
What's wrong with cat pee anyway? Isn't it sterile?

Depends on the sex of the cat. Have you seen a lawn after Tom pee?

Old 19-09-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

You're proving my point. Except that not all vehicles have catalytic
converters.

'Greasy' does not mean toxic. Butter is grease.

Yes, but it isn't left open on the side of the road where other things stick
to it. If you dropped uncovered butter on the floor I'd guess you wouldn't
then eat it.

To answer your last question - because I don't need to - the damn things
grow in my garden!

As they do in mine. But they're not damn things, it's a wonderful plant. We
use the fruit for food and drink, the flowers provide nectar for bees, the
canes are used for lipwork. It's an extremely desirable asset in our garden.

Old 19-09-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

I wasn't arguing with your point. I just asked you what these chemicals
were. I'm still awaiting your reply to that. So far you have mentioned
'greasy'.

'Greasy' does not mean toxic. Butter is grease.

Yes, but it isn't left open on the side of the road where other
things stick to it. If you dropped uncovered butter on the floor I'd
guess you wouldn't then eat it.

To answer your last question - because I don't need to - the damn
things grow in my garden!

As they do in mine. But they're not damn things, it's a wonderful
plant. We use the fruit for food and drink, the flowers provide
nectar for bees, the canes are used for lipwork. It's an extremely
desirable asset in our garden.

Having been forced to go to war with one or two particularly thorny ones,
which were threatening to kill cyclists passing by my fence, I might have
been a little hasty in calling them 'damn' things. I agree they have some
good points. (Just not the thorns!).

Old 19-09-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bioboffin" wrote in message

Having been forced to go to war with one or two particularly thorny ones,
which were threatening to kill cyclists passing by my fence,

I suspect that's an exaggeration.

Old 19-09-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Bioboffin" wrote in message

Having been forced to go to war with one or two particularly thorny ones,
which were threatening to kill cyclists passing by my fence,

I suspect that's an exaggeration.

A turn of phrase Mary! We are still waiting to hear about these nasty things
to which you (in eco-warrior mode) have alluded to.