GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting Crocus Bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149757-planting-crocus-bulbs.html)

Andy 20-09-2006 11:57 AM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Cheers

Andy

Uncle Marvo 20-09-2006 12:01 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

, I, Marvo, say :

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

I did it last year too early, in pots outside. They didn't work. IMHO they
need to know it's winter, or they try to do the whole cycle in a bit of a
hurry, then the frost gets them.

That's only what happened to me though, you may be luckier.

Uncle Marvo 20-09-2006 01:14 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

, I, Marvo, say :

The message
from Andy contains these words:

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now
or should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Now is fine for planting crocus (and daffodils).

Unless you live near me. We had ridiculously summery weather oop 'ere until
about November. That might account for it. Or they might have been duff
bulbs I got. They were Unwins. Someone else planted some out of the same box
though, in Surrey, but later in the year, and they were all fine. Mine
rotted.

JennyC 20-09-2006 01:19 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Cheers
Andy

Amy time from now onwards is OK.
Plant early=flower early
Plant later=flower later
You choose "~)
Jenny

Cat(h) 20-09-2006 01:21 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Andy contains these words:

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Now is fine for planting crocus (and daffodils).

Janet

Being of a lazy disposition, and having many other things competing
with gardening at week ends, and having a bag of 10 kgs of daffs
waiting for my goodwill.... how late is too late to plant them for them
to flower next Spring?

Cat(h)

Uncle Marvo 20-09-2006 03:02 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

, I, Marvo, say :

The message
from "Uncle Marvo" contains
these words:

Now is fine for planting crocus (and daffodils).

Unless you live near me.

You live on a boat tied up in a canal, don't you? Sodden soil on the
banks, rodents, water pollutants, or your habit of ignoring sensible
advice, might all account for your problem.

Spring-flowering bulbs which are already established in a garden,
start their new growth cycle by making roots well before September.
They don't rot on account of that early start. September, October and
November are the traditional time to plant dry bulbs.

Might have been the rainfall then, but I don't remember the banks being that
high at the end of last year. I'm going to put them in during October this
time.

What's this "my habit of ignoring sensible advice"? I don't. That's why I
ask.

I might ignore sensible advice that I didn't ask for, perhaps :-)

Uncle Marvo 20-09-2006 03:43 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:19:01 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now
or should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Cheers
Andy

Amy time from now onwards is OK.
Plant early=flower early

Plant early= bulb goes rotten early if it's a wet autumn.

Hold on, that's what I just said. How come you can be right and I can't?
Eh?

Plant later=flower later
You choose "~)
Jenny

JennyC 20-09-2006 06:48 PM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
in , I, Marvo, say :

The message
from "Uncle Marvo" contains
these words:

[...]

Tubs..............

Jenny

Janet Tweedy 25-09-2006 10:22 AM

Planting Crocus Bulbs

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Spring-flowering bulbs which are already established in a garden,
start their new growth cycle by making roots well before September. They
don't rot on account of that early start. September, October and
November are the traditional time to plant dry bulbs.

I'm ordering a few from R A Scamps this year, having been encouraged to
do so by a speaker in the spring who extolled the virtues of this
nursery for bulbs for exhibition quality flowers.
Thought I might buy one or two from the money I saved ordering the rest
from Parker's wholesale catalogue!

They are expensive, well some about £3.00 but you probably get what you
pay for so I shall buy one or two of the most scented.
Just hoping they don't smell like Paper White, in which case as I shall
plant them in pots, they can make great birthday or raffle prizes!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph