Old 20-09-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting Crocus Bulbs

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Cheers

Andy

Old 20-09-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Cheers
Andy

Amy time from now onwards is OK.
Plant early=flower early
Plant later=flower later
You choose "~)
Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Andy contains these words:

Hi,

When is the right time to plant crocus bulbs? Is it OK to do it now or
should I wait until late October? I live in Winchester UK.

Now is fine for planting crocus (and daffodils).

Janet

Being of a lazy disposition, and having many other things competing
with gardening at week ends, and having a bag of 10 kgs of daffs
waiting for my goodwill.... how late is too late to plant them for them
to flower next Spring?

Cat(h)

Old 25-09-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Spring-flowering bulbs which are already established in a garden,
start their new growth cycle by making roots well before September. They
don't rot on account of that early start. September, October and
November are the traditional time to plant dry bulbs.

I'm ordering a few from R A Scamps this year, having been encouraged to
do so by a speaker in the spring who extolled the virtues of this
nursery for bulbs for exhibition quality flowers.
Thought I might buy one or two from the money I saved ordering the rest
from Parker's wholesale catalogue!

They are expensive, well some about £3.00 but you probably get what you
pay for so I shall buy one or two of the most scented.
Just hoping they don't smell like Paper White, in which case as I shall
plant them in pots, they can make great birthday or raffle prizes!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph