Old 21-09-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pimientos

Whilst in Spain, I had a few helpings of what they call "pimientos" in tapas
bars.

These are shrivelly chillis, about 2" long and about 1" across, green, which
they oven cook and sprinkle with sea salt, and they are absolutely
delicious[1]. I have asked Mr Greengrocer and he is nonplussed, although he
did say he would try to get me some.

Does anyone know what kind/sort/variety these things are and, if so, is it
possible to grow them over here? Maybe in a greenhouse or cloche? I have
grown many sorts of chilli before, indoors, with a great deal of success so
it can't be difficult.

[1]delicious in a Russian Roulette kind of way, about one in twenty of them
is a bit of a surprise.

Old 21-09-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
Whilst in Spain, I had a few helpings of what they call "pimientos" in tapas
bars.

These are shrivelly chillis, about 2" long and about 1" across, green, which
they oven cook and sprinkle with sea salt, and they are absolutely
delicious[1]. I have asked Mr Greengrocer and he is nonplussed, although he
did say he would try to get me some.

Does anyone know what kind/sort/variety these things are and, if so, is it
possible to grow them over here? Maybe in a greenhouse or cloche? I have
grown many sorts of chilli before, indoors, with a great deal of success so
it can't be difficult.

[1]delicious in a Russian Roulette kind of way, about one in twenty of them
is a bit of a surprise.

A bit like those 'russian roulette' chocolates, where one of the box is
filled with a hot chilli mixture?

--
Kay
Old 21-09-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
Whilst in Spain, I had a few helpings of what they call "pimientos"
in tapas bars.

These are shrivelly chillis, about 2" long and about 1" across,
green, which they oven cook and sprinkle with sea salt, and they are
absolutely delicious[1]. I have asked Mr Greengrocer and he is
nonplussed, although he did say he would try to get me some.

Does anyone know what kind/sort/variety these things are and, if so,
is it possible to grow them over here? Maybe in a greenhouse or
cloche? I have grown many sorts of chilli before, indoors, with a
great deal of success so it can't be difficult.

[1]delicious in a Russian Roulette kind of way, about one in twenty
of them is a bit of a surprise.

A bit like those 'russian roulette' chocolates, where one of the box
is filled with a hot chilli mixture?

Similar, although these chillis do it naturally. Nobody knows which are hot
and not. The estimates vary between one in ten and one in twenty. The normal
tapas portion would be about ten [is very afraid].

I have a picture somewhere taken of me having just got the hot one, which I,
of course, put in whole. I'll dig it out ... maybe not this week.

Old 22-09-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo writes
[...]

Or 'crunchy frog'
Jenny :~)