Old 25-09-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asparagus advice please

Hello all

I planted some asparagus crowns earlier in the year and they seem to
have taken quite well. I haven't harveted any and they've grown into
tallish ferns. Should I cut them back down to the ground for the
winter?

Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
Helen

Old 25-09-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Helen wrote:
Hello all

I planted some asparagus crowns earlier in the year and they seem to
have taken quite well. I haven't harveted any and they've grown into
tallish ferns. Should I cut them back down to the ground for the
winter?

Cut the tops to the ground at first real frost and mulsh is the advice
I am going with.
Mind you, I am a relatively new asparagus grower and haven't harvested
anything yet - so I'll keep an eye on any further (and more expert)
answers you may get :-)

Cat(h)

Old 26-09-2006, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello. You can get several different answers. Some leave the ferns until
spring in an effort to feed the roots through the winter. I have done it
both ways and cant tell any difference.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

ps.com...

Old 26-09-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cut them as soon as they dry out back to the ground.

They do not seem to need a lot of feeding and seem to thrive on poor soils
but a good mulch of peat will help to keep the cold out and suppress the
weeds. It would be advantageous to the plants to resist cutting yours next
year, they really do need to be well established before cropping.

You will find that many of the red berries will have fallen to the ground.
They will germinate next year and become weeds to be rooted out.

I hope you'll never think of getting rid of them for you'll need a JCB - the
root ball on each is tremendous!

Geoff