GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150055-advice-pruning-creeping-ceanothus.html)

La Puce 03-10-2006 04:00 PM

Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus

Cat(h) wrote:
OK, so I'll go and fret madly in the viscinity of my ceanothus with a
paring knife to reduce its size gradually. If the neighbours ask
difficult questions, I'll just tell them I got very expert advice.
That works for me :-)

cough You forgot - must be on a whinning moon ...

Cat(h) 03-10-2006 04:06 PM

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
OK, so I'll go and fret madly in the viscinity of my ceanothus with a
paring knife to reduce its size gradually. If the neighbours ask
difficult questions, I'll just tell them I got very expert advice.
That works for me :-)

cough You forgot - must be on a whinning moon ...

Crikey. And what's the Merriam entry on this one, pray tell?
A good night at Bingo with an extra atche?

Cat(h)

Sacha[_1_] 03-10-2006 05:25 PM

Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus - booby trapped postings

On 3/10/06 14:48, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
"David in Normandy" wrote:

snip
So before you click "Send" always take a glance at where the post is
going to go - and edit it necessary!

Some follow ups don't show up unless you look at the Internet Headers.
So it's worth doing that if you're suspicious. We had one like that
yesterday which someone - Bob? - warned us all about.

I expect it's different for each newsreader, but in OE you can click on
the view menu in the message reply window and check the 'all headers'
option.

On my Mac Entourage program, you hit Reply to Newsgroup and then you hit
View and Source. Or you can double click on the message and under View hit
Internet Headers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Cat(h) 03-10-2006 05:50 PM

Sacha wrote:
On my Mac Entourage program, you hit Reply to Newsgroup and then you hit
View and Source. Or you can double click on the message and under View hit
Internet Headers.

I'm reading and posting from Google groups. I wasn't paying attention,
as this group is generally pretty good at not cross-posting unwisely.
It's only when I had my post posted that I noticed where it had gone.
And one of my responses went to a whole pile of groups, *except* ukrg.

All I can say is that, if that's some people's idea of fun, they really
need to get themselves a life. Or start gardening :-)

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 03-10-2006 05:54 PM

Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus - booby trapped postings

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "David in Normandy" contains these
words:

You need to beware there are a few trolls posting on URG, pretending to be
gardeners.

I thought French-speaking CatH might have caught on to one of them at
work the other week, but apparently not. You can take a horse to water
but not make it drink.Still, there's only so many times a troll can get
away with "oh, did I say the wrong thing, surely not, oh dear me, I had
no idea". Sooner or later, the penny will drop.

Not sure what this is all about. But for the record, I did not add the
pile of follow-up groups, though I've learned my lesson and I do now
look before I send.

Cat(h)

Sacha[_1_] 03-10-2006 10:26 PM

Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus - booby trapped postings

On 3/10/06 17:50, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On my Mac Entourage program, you hit Reply to Newsgroup and then you hit
View and Source. Or you can double click on the message and under View hit
Internet Headers.

I'm reading and posting from Google groups. I wasn't paying attention,
as this group is generally pretty good at not cross-posting unwisely.
It's only when I had my post posted that I noticed where it had gone.
And one of my responses went to a whole pile of groups, *except* ukrg.

All I can say is that, if that's some people's idea of fun, they really
need to get themselves a life. Or start gardening :-)

They could start by digging a very big them-shaped hole....
Unhappily, urg gets its fair share of trolls. One persistent one is someone
who has not been able to get the attention they want so they 'salt' the
group with daft requests on 'how to cook a pumpkin' or something of that
sort, just to ensure they get replies. Others post bad information to
ensure that more conscientious members will correct it for the sake of
everyone but thus giving them the attention they want. Still others are the
seriously half baked who think they're clever. I can only assume they
suffer some form of mental incapacity which makes them unable to recognise
how deeply and stupidly boring they are.
On the whole, urg is pretty lucky but it isn't a bad idea to keep a weather
eye open.