Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus

I have a gorgeous and obscenely healthy ceanothus of the low growing
variety (repens??) growing at the front of my main border. It has
notions of world domination, and is in the process of crawling over
everythign else. I would like to prune it but am not sure how or when.
any advice?

TIA

Cat(h)

Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
I have a gorgeous and obscenely healthy ceanothus of the low growing
variety (repens??) growing at the front of my main border. It has
notions of world domination, and is in the process of crawling over
everythign else. I would like to prune it but am not sure how or when.
any advice?

Salut Cath ) Like Mary, I'd like to know how big it is. I had made a
standard, about 2m high and I had never pruned it. However, I have one
against the wall, and I prune it after flowering to train it
horizontally. They don't like severe pruning but I'd say after
flowering is usually the best time.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary wrote:
On 2 Oct 2006 10:37:46 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote:

I have a gorgeous and obscenely healthy ceanothus of the low growing
variety (repens??) growing at the front of my main border. It has
notions of world domination, and is in the process of crawling over
everythign else. I would like to prune it but am not sure how or when.
any advice?

TIA

Cat(h)

How large is it?

Gasp, I have just noticed that my first reply was cross posted to a
whole pile of newsgroups including alt.kitchen.sink - though not sure
how or why. With humblest apologies for not noticing before clicking
send.

Cat(h)

Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary wrote:
On 2 Oct 2006 10:37:46 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote:

I have a gorgeous and obscenely healthy ceanothus of the low growing
variety (repens??) growing at the front of my main border. It has
notions of world domination, and is in the process of crawling over
everythign else. I would like to prune it but am not sure how or when.
any advice?

TIA

Cat(h)

How large is it?

Ok - this is just spooky... I have already answered this question, and
my guess is that for reasons I can't quite figure out, my reply was
posted all over cyberspace... except urg.... (All weird newsgroups
pruned from this reply)

Here I go again: the ceanothus is about 1.50m in diameter by about 40
to 50 cm high. I note that I'll have to wait till next year to clip it
gently after flowering.
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Thank you all, in any case :-)

Cat(h)

Old 03-10-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Why don't you do a spot of whitling?

Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on pruning creeping ceanothus - booby trapped postings

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Ok - this is just spooky... I have already answered this question, and
my guess is that for reasons I can't quite figure out, my reply was
posted all over cyberspace... except urg.... (All weird newsgroups
pruned from this reply)
Cat(h)

You need to beware there are a few trolls posting on URG, pretending to be
gardeners. They post new messages or replies to existing threads, usually in
a contentious nature so they elicit lots of replies. However, they "booby
trap" their post so that despite it only showing uk.reg.gardening any
replies are sent NOT to URG but instead to a whole load of other newsgroups.
They do this by setting the "follow-up" part of their message to these other
groups. Their sole intention is to trick you into bombarding other groups
with messages that the subscribers to those groups aren't interested in. I
suspect it is kids mucking about, getting a kick out of winding others up.

So before you click "Send" always take a glance at where the post is going
to go - and edit it necessary!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Why don't you do a spot of whitling?

And what's that when it's at home?

Cat(h)

Old 03-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Oct 2006 06:23:23 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Why don't you do a spot of whitling?

And what's that when it's at home?

It's probably whittling during a tea shortage.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 03-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/10/06 14:15, in article , "David
in Normandy" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

Some follow ups don't show up unless you look at the Internet Headers. So
it's worth doing that if you're suspicious. We had one like that yesterday
which someone - Bob? - warned us all about.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-10-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"David in Normandy" wrote:

snip
So before you click "Send" always take a glance at where the post is
going to go - and edit it necessary!

Some follow ups don't show up unless you look at the Internet Headers.
So it's worth doing that if you're suspicious. We had one like that
yesterday which someone - Bob? - warned us all about.

I expect it's different for each newsreader, but in OE you can click on
the view menu in the message reply window and check the 'all headers'
option.

--
Sue

Old 03-10-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Why don't you do a spot of whitling?

And what's that when it's at home?

It's probably whittling during a tea shortage.

I'll only do that if ceanothus tea has interesting hallucinogenic or
aphrodisiac effects, or some other worthwhile nutritional value.
Meanwhile, what is whittling with two ts when it's at home? Plucking
the tips, as in "whittling away"?

Cat(h)

Old 03-10-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Oct 2006 07:00:01 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote and

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
It is a damn pity, because I was looking forward to a week end of
secateur wielding, ending with a tidy garden and a pile of shredded
bits to add to my compost heap :-(

Why don't you do a spot of whitling?

And what's that when it's at home?

It's probably whittling during a tea shortage.

I'll only do that if ceanothus tea has interesting hallucinogenic or
aphrodisiac effects, or some other worthwhile nutritional value.
Meanwhile, what is whittling with two ts when it's at home? Plucking
the tips, as in "whittling away"?

Meriam-Webster

Main Entry: 2whittle
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): whit·tled; whit·tling /'hwit-li[ng], 'wit-;
'hwi-t&l-i[ng], 'wi-/
transitive verb
1 a : to pare or cut off chips from the surface of (wood) with a knife
b : to shape or form by so paring or cutting
2 : to reduce, remove, or destroy gradually as if by cutting off bits
with a knife : PARE whittle down expenses
intransitive verb
1 : to cut or shape something (as wood) by or as if by paring it with
a knife
2 : to wear oneself or another out with fretting
- whit·tler /'hwit-l&r, 'wit-; 'hwi-t&l-&r, 'wi-/ noun 1

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ wrote:
On 3 Oct 2006 07:00:01 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Meriam-Webster

Main Entry: 2whittle
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): whit·tled; whit·tling /'hwit-li[ng], 'wit-;
'hwi-t&l-i[ng], 'wi-/
transitive verb
1 a : to pare or cut off chips from the surface of (wood) with a knife
b : to shape or form by so paring or cutting
2 : to reduce, remove, or destroy gradually as if by cutting off bits
with a knife : PARE whittle down expenses
intransitive verb
1 : to cut or shape something (as wood) by or as if by paring it with
a knife
2 : to wear oneself or another out with fretting
- whit·tler /'hwit-l&r, 'wit-; 'hwi-t&l-&r, 'wi-/ noun 1

OK, so I'll go and fret madly in the viscinity of my ceanothus with a
paring knife to reduce its size gradually. If the neighbours ask
difficult questions, I'll just tell them I got very expert advice.
That works for me :-)

Cat