Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How hard can I cut back a Beech Hedge ?

I need to cut back an established Green Beech hedge to 900mm to comply
with some Planning Regulations, but am worried that this may be too
severe, and the Hedge may not grow back.

The current hedge is around 2.5m high and 1.5m wide, and has been
established for many years. My alternative would be to completely
remove the existing hedge and re-plant with fresh Bare-rooted stock.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kingsley07 wrote:
I need to cut back an established Green Beech hedge to 900mm to comply
with some Planning Regulations, but am worried that this may be too
severe, and the Hedge may not grow back.

I expect it will regenerate. Mine did from a similarly badly unpruned
state. But it will look a mess all winter if you prune it hard now to
old bare wood and without the leaves frost damage may occur.

Are you cutting it back to 900mm height and width or just width?

The current hedge is around 2.5m high and 1.5m wide, and has been
established for many years. My alternative would be to completely
remove the existing hedge and re-plant with fresh Bare-rooted stock.

I'd be inclined to prune it hard in the early spring just before it
breaks dormancy. That way you have a nice golden brown hedge to look
at through the winter and with any luck it will quickly green up in the
spring. I find it amazing that your local planning regulations are so
sensitive to hedges being 600mm too wide. If that is symmetrical that
is 12" extra overhang.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You could perhaps take a bit off now to show willing but leave enough
foliage that the core of the hedge remains protected.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-10-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
kingsley07 wrote:
[...]

thanks for the advice. The hedge has to be a maximum of 900mm high
because it adjoins a highway, and we need to establish access onto the
land behind the hedge, hence the height restriction.