Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beech Hedge

Dear All,
A beech hedge, that is normally trimmed annualy, was over trimmed
last year, losin a lot of height. I would like it recover its height as
quicly as possible. Should I leave, lightly trim it or what?
Thanks
Neil

Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:27:43 +0100, "Neil Smith"
wrote:

Dear All,
A beech hedge, that is normally trimmed annualy, was over trimmed
last year, losin a lot of height. I would like it recover its height as
quicly as possible. Should I leave, lightly trim it or what?
Thanks
Neil

In which season did you prune it?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Penny wrote:

Before sending your replies to posts, please check the follow-up
addressing in your replies doesn't contain more groups than intended.

The addition of such groups in the follow-up line is often started
by a particular childish moron and has caused a mess. No doubt he/she
will try to continue. Please be vigilant and help stop this nonsense.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Dear All,
A beech hedge, that is normally trimmed annualy, was over trimmed
last year, losin a lot of height. I would like it recover its height as
quicly as possible. Should I leave, lightly trim it or what?
Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil,

Give the top a light trim, to stop the top growth running away, cutting the
sides of the hedge as normal. Personally I like to prune my 200ft of beech
with secateaurs, cutting back to a sideways pointing bud. It takes a lot
longer than a hedge trimmer, but I find I get a much denser hedge. I cut
mine last weekend, and will give it another tidy up in the spring.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/10/06 18:30, in article , "Neil
Smith" wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Each leaf, or most have a bud at their base. Could you
clarify what you mean by a sideways pointing bud.

snip

A bud pointing in the direction you want the new branch to grow - like
pruning roses.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Because this is at the top of a tall hedge, using the secateurs could be
difficult. Given that I want to promote upward growth, should I trim what I
can by hand just below the top of each new growth?
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 18:30, in article ,

Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Because this is at the top of a tall hedge, using the secateurs could be
difficult. Given that I want to promote upward growth, should I trim what

can by hand just below the top of each new growth?
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 18:30, in article ,
"Neil
Smith" wrote:

SNIPPED

Hi Neil,

How tall is your hedge? If you can't reach with secateurs, do you have
access to long handled loppers and or a step ladder? Cutting the sides of
the hedge first, can help you get that little bit closer to the hedge, to
cut the top.

Although you want to promote upward growth, you also want a dense hedge, if
you leave the top, then you'll get branches (leaders) that grow upwards,
they will throw out small branches as they grow, but the top of your hedge
will end up looking quite sparse. The idea of trimming the top growth, will
encourage the tree to send out more branches from the top and lower buds,
creating a much denser hedge. It will take longer to reach your desired
height, but you'll get a much better result in the long run.

Don't get hung up on pruning to new or old growth, beech is really tough,
and doesn't really care, just prune to a sideways or upward facing bud.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Because this is at the top of a tall hedge, using the secateurs could be
difficult. Given that I want to promote upward growth, should I trim

what
can by hand just below the top of each new growth?
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 18:30, in article ,
"Neil
Smith" wrote:

[...]

I know it's a bit odd to reply to my own posting, but I've thought of an
analogy. If you think of a single small beech tree (a hedge is just a line
of trees planted close together after all), it will try to grow tall as
quickly as possible. If you cut the leading branch (that is heading straight
up), the tree will send out side branches, from the top as well as the sides
of the trunk, if you then trim these, the tree will send out even more side
branches, after a short time, you'll end up with quite a dense little bush.
This is all that you are trying to acheive with the top of your hedge.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What you say is quite clear and logical. About 5 feet of hedge was looped
off, sadly. The top growth that has come up seems a little stunted with
abnormally small leaves.
"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Because this is at the top of a tall hedge, using the secateurs could
be
difficult. Given that I want to promote upward growth, should I trim

what
can by hand just below the top of each new growth?
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 18:30, in article
,

Old 23-10-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I took your advice and spent 4 hours carefully cutting the top of the hedge.
My neighbours workmen came along, afterwards and with a hedge trimmer and
tidy it up. looping another great chunk of it.
"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Because this is at the top of a tall hedge, using the secateurs could
be
difficult. Given that I want to promote upward growth, should I trim

what
can by hand just below the top of each new growth?
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/10/06 18:30, in article
,
"Neil
Smith" wrote:
[...]

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech hedge Steve Jackson United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 02:11 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM