Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Ilang Ilang

Traveling in the tropics I encountered an extremely fragrant plant, Ilang
Ilang (or Ylang Ylang). It is so fragrant that its fragrance easily reaches
40 feet away. I live in the cooler pacific northwest where it is much
cooler, but does not snow much at sea level. Does anyone know of a fragrant
plant for cooler climates? It may not equal Ilang Ilang, but one having
strong fragrance will do. I am much obliged for the information.

Tom

Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/10/06 20:17, in article , "Tom"
wrote:

Traveling in the tropics I encountered an extremely fragrant plant, Ilang
Ilang (or Ylang Ylang). It is so fragrant that its fragrance easily reaches
40 feet away. I live in the cooler pacific northwest where it is much
cooler, but does not snow much at sea level. Does anyone know of a fragrant
plant for cooler climates? It may not equal Ilang Ilang, but one having
strong fragrance will do. I am much obliged for the information.

You would need to look these up for your particular area but maybe Daphne
odora or Daphne bholua, Sarcococca, Eleagnus ebbingei, Lonicera purpusii,
all of which are winter/early spring flowering in UK on which this group is
based. The climate of Vancouver, for example, isn't much different to the
climate of the seaside areas of the south west where we live. You could
also look at mimosa (Acacias) and some of the scented Rhododendrons and
azaleas, which will also be classified under Rhododendron.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-10-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Thank you very much, Sacha! I'll look them up in the web and at the local
Seattle nursery.

Tom

Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/06 17:48, in article , "Tom"
wrote:

Thank you very much, Sacha! I'll look them up in the web and at the local
Seattle nursery.

Seattle to Vancouver - I've done the little hop by air and the climate is
very similar to ours in Devon. I have friends in Vancouver and in Pt.
Roberts and they can grow just about anything we can here in far SW England.