GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hornbeam (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150229-hornbeam.html)

Duncan 10-10-2006 10:26 PM

Hornbeam

I would quite like to use hornbeam for a hedge. Will it grow in a damp heavy
clay near Thirsk, Yorkshire? The predominant tree species adjacent to where
I'm thinking of putting it is alder. Oak and Yew are also present.

Duncan

Martin Brown 11-10-2006 10:32 AM

Hornbeam

Duncan wrote:

I would quite like to use hornbeam for a hedge. Will it grow in a damp heavy
clay near Thirsk, Yorkshire? The predominant tree species adjacent to where
I'm thinking of putting it is alder. Oak and Yew are also present.

It grows OK on our heavy clay soil twenty miles north of you. My
neighbour had a large hornbeam tree in her garden. Beech, cotoneaster,
pyrocantha, privet, hawthorn, sloe and holly also grow pretty well here
too. The first season is probably critical to them establishing.

I don't know if hornbeam keeps its leaves in winter if grown as a
hedge. (Beech does)

I prefer hedges in patches of ~3m for each species to have some variety
of texture and colour. Pyrocantha, holly & cotoneaster are very pretty
at this time of year.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Sacha[_1_] 11-10-2006 10:46 AM

Hornbeam

On 11/10/06 10:32, in article
, "Martin Brown"
wrote:

snip

I don't know if hornbeam keeps its leaves in winter if grown as a
hedge. (Beech does)

Yes, I think it does. I grew several hornbeams as trees down a drive and
from what I remember, they grow fairly quickly and are rather handsome.
It's also good for pleaching which takes a bit of work but is very pretty
and makes a handsome barrier.
snip
--
Sacha