Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hornbeam

I would quite like to use hornbeam for a hedge. Will it grow in a damp heavy
clay near Thirsk, Yorkshire? The predominant tree species adjacent to where
I'm thinking of putting it is alder. Oak and Yew are also present.

Duncan

Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Duncan wrote:

I would quite like to use hornbeam for a hedge. Will it grow in a damp heavy
clay near Thirsk, Yorkshire? The predominant tree species adjacent to where
I'm thinking of putting it is alder. Oak and Yew are also present.

It grows OK on our heavy clay soil twenty miles north of you. My
neighbour had a large hornbeam tree in her garden. Beech, cotoneaster,
pyrocantha, privet, hawthorn, sloe and holly also grow pretty well here
too. The first season is probably critical to them establishing.

I don't know if hornbeam keeps its leaves in winter if grown as a
hedge. (Beech does)

I prefer hedges in patches of ~3m for each species to have some variety
of texture and colour. Pyrocantha, holly & cotoneaster are very pretty
at this time of year.

Regards,
Martin Brown

[IBC] hornbeam Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 8 01-03-2004 06:35 PM
[IBC] american or korean hornbeam Jim Lewis Bonsai 15 20-01-2004 11:33 PM
[IBC] American Hornbeam---thread graft Sam Williams Bonsai 1 04-07-2003 08:44 PM
Hedging with hornbeam Mark Allison United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 12:20 AM
[IBC] early hornbeam Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 2 12-04-2003 06:56 PM