GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mushrooms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150325-mushrooms.html)

bluebell 14-10-2006 09:45 PM

mushrooms

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

Sacha[_1_] 14-10-2006 10:51 PM

mushrooms

On 14/10/06 21:45, in article
, "bluebell"
wrote:

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

If in doubt, don't eat them, would be my advice. You can find books that
identify mushrooms and in France, most small towns and villages have someone
in the pharmacie that can do that, too. Without such expert advice I'd be
extremely cautious.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

K 14-10-2006 10:52 PM

mushrooms

bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

--
Kay

bluebell 14-10-2006 10:53 PM

mushrooms

Sacha wrote:
On 14/10/06 21:45, in article
, "bluebell"
wrote:

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

If in doubt, don't eat them, would be my advice. You can find books that
identify mushrooms and in France, most small towns and villages have someone
in the pharmacie that can do that, too. Without such expert advice I'd be
extremely cautious.

Thanks I have a book but its not much use, they look the same as
harmless ones and the book says that not many are nasty

Klara 14-10-2006 11:12 PM

mushrooms

In message .com,
bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Sacha[_1_] 14-10-2006 11:14 PM

mushrooms

On 14/10/06 22:53, in article
, "bluebell"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 14/10/06 21:45, in article
, "bluebell"
wrote:

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

If in doubt, don't eat them, would be my advice. You can find books that
identify mushrooms and in France, most small towns and villages have someone
in the pharmacie that can do that, too. Without such expert advice I'd be
extremely cautious.

Thanks I have a book but its not much use, they look the same as
harmless ones and the book says that not many are nasty

Hmmm. Well, without having tried it out myself, I do know that the nasty
ones are seriously nasty so I'd be very cautious indeed. An old folk
'remedy' used to be to put a silver sixpence into the pan when cooking the
fungi. If the sixpenny piece went black it's said the fungi were poisonous.
I don't think I'd trust that either, even assuming one could find a silver
sixpence now!

Sacha[_1_] 14-10-2006 11:25 PM

mushrooms

On 14/10/06 23:12, in article ,
"Klara" wrote:

In message .com,
bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

Good heavens above, that's absolutely terrible! Where did they pick these
mushrooms and in which country? It's a truly dreadful thing to happen and
just illustrates the need for extreme caution.

bluebell 14-10-2006 11:25 PM

mushrooms

K wrote:

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

bluebell 14-10-2006 11:26 PM

mushrooms

Klara wrote:
In message .com,
bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Thanks I will take heed

Sue[_3_] 14-10-2006 11:58 PM

mushrooms

"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

bluebell 15-10-2006 12:00 AM

mushrooms

Sue wrote:
"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

Thanks very much Sue

bluebell 15-10-2006 12:03 AM

mushrooms

Sue wrote:
"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

Sue just took a recki at mycologue site, it gives me all I need to
start, it's a great site

Sue[_3_] 15-10-2006 12:07 AM

mushrooms

"bluebell" wrote
Sue just took a recki at mycologue site, it gives me all I need to
start, it's a great site

Jolly good! Happy fungi-hunting. :)

--
Sue

Larry Stoter[_1_] 15-10-2006 07:47 AM

mushrooms

bluebell wrote:

K wrote:

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

County Wildlife Trusts often run 2 or 3 at this time of year. See
http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/ and http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/

If you aren't 100% confident in your identification, don't even try a
small piece. Some of the amanita species are seriously poisonous - they
have a two stage process which, if the doctor/hospital doesn't
understand, could leave you needing a rapid liver transplant at best!
And there are plenty of these about - I've been out in the Ashdown
Forest in Sussex and seen enough Death Caps to kill a regiment. On the
other hand, I've also picked plenty of Ceps which are definitely in the
gourmet class :-)
--
Larry Stoter

Klara 15-10-2006 09:27 AM

mushrooms

In message , Sacha
writes
My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

Good heavens above, that's absolutely terrible! Where did they pick
these mushrooms and in which country? It's a truly dreadful thing to
happen and just illustrates the need for extreme caution.

It was in Austria, soon after the war. I think many Austrians survived
the war on things like mushrooms, so they were very knowledgeable about
them indeed ... I can't imagine how they could have made such a mistake!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin