Old 14-10-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mushrooms

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

Old 14-10-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

--
Kay
Old 14-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 14-10-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

Old 14-10-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Klara wrote:
In message .com,
bluebell writes
I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe to
eat

My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Thanks I will take heed

Old 14-10-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

Old 15-10-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

Thanks very much Sue

Old 15-10-2006, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"bluebell" wrote
Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

There's a NT one at Scotney Castle 22nd Oct on the this list:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ngi_forays.htm

Also lot of contact names/numbers including for Kent he
http://www.mycologue.co.uk/xcart/cus...s.php?pageid=6

Other than that, you could try your local press for 'What's On'
listings, or public library for leaflets about local events.

--
Sue

Sue just took a recki at mycologue site, it gives me all I need to
start, it's a great site

Old 15-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" wrote
Sue just took a recki at mycologue site, it gives me all I need to
start, it's a great site

Jolly good! Happy fungi-hunting.

--
Sue

Old 15-10-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebell wrote:

K wrote:

Only by identifying them precisely as to which species they are. There
aren't any general rules that say 'these mushrooms are good, these are
poisonous" If you're interested, there are a lot of 'fungus forays'
being run atm - you could go along and meet some mushroom experts, then
perhaps join a local group and start learning a few edible species which
are quite distinctive and not eay to confuse with anything poisonous.

Are you in Kent - where can I get this information

County Wildlife Trusts often run 2 or 3 at this time of year. See
http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/ and http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/

If you aren't 100% confident in your identification, don't even try a
small piece. Some of the amanita species are seriously poisonous - they
have a two stage process which, if the doctor/hospital doesn't
understand, could leave you needing a rapid liver transplant at best!
And there are plenty of these about - I've been out in the Ashdown
Forest in Sussex and seen enough Death Caps to kill a regiment. On the
other hand, I've also picked plenty of Ceps which are definitely in the
gourmet class :-)
--
Larry Stoter
Old 15-10-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
My family knew a family of 4 who all died from mushroom poisoning - I
wouldn't risk it without lessons from a professional...

Good heavens above, that's absolutely terrible! Where did they pick
these mushrooms and in which country? It's a truly dreadful thing to
happen and just illustrates the need for extreme caution.

It was in Austria, soon after the war. I think many Austrians survived
the war on things like mushrooms, so they were very knowledgeable about
them indeed ... I can't imagine how they could have made such a mistake!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin