Old 15-10-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thornapple/Datura stramomium

We've had a few queries here from people puzzled by this strange plant
suddenly appearing apparently from nowhere. An article in today's Mail on
Sunday says the theory is that it's in birdseeds and that the warmer summers
and milder winters we've been having have led to its proliferation in this
country. The article also stresses its poisonous and hallucinogenic
properties. I found this rather interesting, if scary, piece about it:
"Thornapple or Datura stramomium is also known as Jimson weed
(a corruption of* Jamestown weed), stinkweed and mad apple. It*
has a foul smell and usually found wild in wasteland. It belongs to*
the nightshade (solanaceae) family and like all its members is*
extremely poisonous and can cause death. The troops of Marc*
Antony ate this plant when retreating from Parthia in 38AD leading*
to delirium, stupor and death. The name Jamestown weed came*
from the fact that it was in Jamestown County of Virginia that the*
plant was first found in North America. Daturine an alkaloid*
extracted from this plant is a combination of hyoscyamine and*
atropine. The extract cause mydriasis and cycloplegia. Smoking*
of the leaves can relieve asthma because of its anticholinergic*
effect."
http://www.mrcophth.com/plants/thornapple.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-10-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

From our experience it's not the only weed that can be smoked that comes in
bird seed. This year I've let it grow and it's flowered :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-10-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
From our experience it's not the only weed that can be smoked that comes in
bird seed. This year I've let it grow and it's flowered :-)

A friend in south London has a huge one. The flowers are amazing.
Though the only experience of it I've had is via a brew. And I have
never done it since .... ;o)

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 05:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 02:52 PM