GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150379-there-device-compressing-grass-cuttings-then-extruding-them-into-pellets.html)

[email protected] 16-10-2006 08:44 PM

Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ???

That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

I don't mean a big multi thousand pound machine.

Or anybody have any links to pro machines that can give me an idea of
how to make one.

I had even thought about a cider press, to extude all the juices, and
then cut logs from the grass cake.

I must have tons of grass cuttings every year, there must be a better
use for them.

K 16-10-2006 09:26 PM

Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ???

" writes
That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

It's called a cow ;-)

Don't know whether you could use them on a wood burning stove, but I've
certainly used dried cow pats to keep a campfire burning slowly
overnight.
--
Kay

shazzbat 16-10-2006 10:50 PM

Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ???

"K" wrote in message
" writes
That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

It's called a cow ;-)

The budget version is called a rabbit :-))

Steve

JennyC 17-10-2006 05:43 AM

pcplod wrote in message ...
That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

I don't mean a big multi thousand pound machine.

Or anybody have any links to pro machines that can give me an idea of
how to make one.

I had even thought about a cider press, to extude all the juices, and
then cut logs from the grass cake.

Interesting concept :~)
I'd imagine that it would need to be dry like straw or hay.

I must have tons of grass cuttings every year, there must be a better
use for them.

Lots of info on the web, but wouldn't find a non-commercial way of making
blocks or pellets...
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/510830/
http://jcwinnie.biz/wordpress/?p=1127
http://www.pelletheat.org/2/index/index.html

Do let us know how you get on,
Jenny

The Invalid 17-10-2006 12:07 PM

Is there a device for compressing grass cuttings and then extruding them into pellets ???

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:44:24 GMT, " pcplod
wrote:

That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

Yes, its called a Rabbit

Mike Lyle[_1_] 17-10-2006 03:25 PM

wrote:
That can be then dried and used as fuel on a wood buring stove.

I don't mean a big multi thousand pound machine.

Or anybody have any links to pro machines that can give me an idea of
how to make one.

I had even thought about a cider press, to extude all the juices, and
then cut logs from the grass cake.

I must have tons of grass cuttings every year, there must be a better
use for them.

I think all the commercial processes use straw, which is pretty dry
already: grass is both much wetter and, in agricultural terms, too
valuable to waste as fuel. I don't know how much moisture you could get
out of grass by that sort of pressu apples are a much easier
proposition. But I think you'd have to dry it before compression, not
after, or you'd have anaerobic stinks or maybe mould growth (and your
lungs don't want you to be handling a lot of mouldy stuff).

If your grass production really is measurable in tons, I guess your
grass isn't conventional lawns: so if you don't want livestock you
could (should?) be making hay and selling it or swapping it. That will
encourage wild flowers, too.

--
Mike.