GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150420-help-lawn-sunk-after-laying-land-drains.html)

Rick 18-10-2006 09:48 AM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

What methods should I use to encourage early growth for next year.

Many Thanks

Rich.

Tim W 18-10-2006 10:05 AM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

[...]

Better to cut the turf, roll it back and fill underneath it. This normally
means making H shaped cuts, but in your case it might be an HHHHHHHHH shaped
cut if you see what I mean.

Tim w

Rick 18-10-2006 10:24 AM

Tim W wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

[...]

Better to cut the turf, roll it back and fill underneath it. This normally
means making H shaped cuts, but in your case it might be an HHHHHHHHH shaped
cut if you see what I mean.

Tim w

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AND SO ON !!!

Many thanks.

Rick

[email protected] 18-10-2006 11:07 AM

Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Martin Brown 18-10-2006 01:30 PM

Rick wrote:
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

How badly sunk is it? You can usually add a 1" top dressing of sharp
sand & loam selectively to hide low spots and get away with it. I'm
doing that on my lawn now.

You might get away with a 2" top dressing, but it depends how long the
grass is.

What methods should I use to encourage early growth for next year.

The other way involves turf cutting, filling underneath and much
stamping & cursing. Even if it takes a couple of years to get a perfect
flat lawn I prefer selective top dressing. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown

FairySnow 18-10-2006 01:30 PM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

Thanks

How deep is it? I successfully filled in a 1 inch dip in my lawn by brushing
in a little sharp sand after each mowing. The grass soon rooted into it and
as a bonus it is now better drained and doesn't grow moss.

Mike Lyle[_1_] 18-10-2006 01:33 PM

Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

[...]

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

If it isn't urgent, you can top-dress half an inch thick with good,
preferably rather sandy, soil every year till it's level. If it grows
really well and you're in a mild area, you might even top-dress twice a
year.

--
Mike.

Rick 18-10-2006 02:06 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

[...]

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

If it isn't urgent, you can top-dress half an inch thick with good,
preferably rather sandy, soil every year till it's level. If it grows
really well and you're in a mild area, you might even top-dress twice a
year.

The sand sound a great idea.

The dip is only about an inch.

Can I mowe it now and lay some sand before the winter sets in ?

Many Thanks.

Rick

--
Mike.

Jim S 18-10-2006 02:10 PM

On 18 Oct 2006 06:06:37 -0700, Rick wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

[...]

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

If it isn't urgent, you can top-dress half an inch thick with good,
preferably rather sandy, soil every year till it's level. If it grows
really well and you're in a mild area, you might even top-dress twice a
year.

The sand sound a great idea.

The dip is only about an inch.

Can I mowe it now and lay some sand before the winter sets in ?

Many Thanks.

Rick

--
Mike.

I wouldn't use sand on its own as it tends to get a film of algae and clog
up. Sandy loam should be better.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Mike Lyle[_1_] 18-10-2006 02:56 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Unless it's very long, I don't think I'd cut it before
top-dressing, though: I think it will recover quicker if it's got its
leaves in the light.

--
Mike.

[email protected] 18-10-2006 05:09 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Agreed. Unless it's very long, I don't think I'd cut it before
top-dressing, though: I think it will recover quicker if it's got its
leaves in the light.

--
Mike.

I mentioned mowing it but the thinking there was that the soil on top
would completely cover the old grass and the OP would sow new seeds.
Otherwise, I'd gradually add something over a period of time and try to
give the grass some time to grow through.

Gill Matthews[_2_] 18-10-2006 07:52 PM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

[...]

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

If it isn't urgent, you can top-dress half an inch thick with good,
preferably rather sandy, soil every year till it's level. If it grows
really well and you're in a mild area, you might even top-dress twice a
year.

The sand sound a great idea.

The dip is only about an inch.

Can I mowe it now and lay some sand before the winter sets in ?

We did the dips in our lawn like this but it took 2 years because the first
helping of sandy loam which was what we used sank a bit. Probably bound to
happen.

Gill

Rick 18-10-2006 11:52 PM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

Gill Matthews wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rick wrote:
wrote:
Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH
[...]

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

If it isn't urgent, you can top-dress half an inch thick with good,
preferably rather sandy, soil every year till it's level. If it grows
really well and you're in a mild area, you might even top-dress twice a
year.

The sand sound a great idea.

The dip is only about an inch.

Can I mowe it now and lay some sand before the winter sets in ?

We did the dips in our lawn like this but it took 2 years because the first
helping of sandy loam which was what we used sank a bit. Probably bound to
happen.

Gill

Thanks for all your advice, I now know what my options are.

Its nice to know there is someone out there who can help !

In my next posting I need to ask about bulbs but thats another story !

Regards.

Rick.

pied piper 19-10-2006 05:02 PM

HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

whatever u do dont use sharp sand its bad for the soil profile use a sandy
loam
"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...

Gill Matthews wrote: