Old 18-10-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP- Lawn Sunk After Laying Land Drains

Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

What methods should I use to encourage early growth for next year.

Many Thanks

Rich.

Old 18-10-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

[...]

Better to cut the turf, roll it back and fill underneath it. This normally
means making H shaped cuts, but in your case it might be an HHHHHHHHH shaped
cut if you see what I mean.

Tim w

Old 18-10-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

[...]

Better to cut the turf, roll it back and fill underneath it. This normally
means making H shaped cuts, but in your case it might be an HHHHHHHHH shaped
cut if you see what I mean.

Tim w

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AND SO ON !!!

Many thanks.

Rick

Old 18-10-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rick wrote:

Looks like Im going to be busy as it will be more like :-

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Old 18-10-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rick wrote:
Hi,

I laid land drains in my garden this Summer and despite packing the
topsoil down on top of the stone now find the soil has sunk slightly.

Can I just sprinkle topsoil on top of the new grass NOW that has grown
(from seed) and expect it to come through next year?

How badly sunk is it? You can usually add a 1" top dressing of sharp
sand & loam selectively to hide low spots and get away with it. I'm
doing that on my lawn now.

You might get away with a 2" top dressing, but it depends how long the
grass is.

What methods should I use to encourage early growth for next year.

The other way involves turf cutting, filling underneath and much
stamping & cursing. Even if it takes a couple of years to get a perfect
flat lawn I prefer selective top dressing. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 18-10-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or just mow it really short, fill over it and put more seed down.

Sounds easier

Thanks

How deep is it? I successfully filled in a 1 inch dip in my lawn by brushing
in a little sharp sand after each mowing. The grass soon rooted into it and
as a bonus it is now better drained and doesn't grow moss.

Old 18-10-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Agreed. Unless it's very long, I don't think I'd cut it before
top-dressing, though: I think it will recover quicker if it's got its
leaves in the light.

--
Mike.

I mentioned mowing it but the thinking there was that the soil on top
would completely cover the old grass and the OP would sow new seeds.
Otherwise, I'd gradually add something over a period of time and try to
give the grass some time to grow through.

Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Preparation of land prior to laying new turf ... Rob Steed United Kingdom 3 27-05-2005 08:23 AM
not OT, Atlantis sunk kathy Ponds 8 26-04-2005 08:16 PM
I sunk to a high in ponding Benign Vanilla Ponds 7 17-05-2004 03:11 AM
Bottom Drains and Empty Ponds BenignVanilla Ponds (alternative) 9 05-02-2003 02:28 PM