GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sawdust or woodchips in compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150843-sawdust-woodchips-compost.html)

George.com 06-11-2006 03:26 PM

sawdust or woodchips in compost?

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
On a trip to a local timber yard I noticed they were selling large bags

of
what seemed to be rough sawdust or fine wood chips very cheaply. Aha,
thought I, could we use that in the compost? What benefits might it

have?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards
Paul.

Sawdust can be used to increase the carbon content of the mix so that you
have a good carbon/nitrogen ratio. Mixed with the finer greens,such as

grass
clippings,it will help the composting process, in much the same way as
adding straw. I avoid using big wood chips in the heap cos they take ages

decay.

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation. I
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast the
nitrogen supply.

rob

Paul 08-11-2006 07:27 AM

--
Paul reply-to is valid

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 08-11-2006 07:41 AM

"Paul" wrote in message
On a trip to a local timber yard I noticed they were selling large bags of
what seemed to be rough sawdust or fine wood chips very cheaply. Aha,
thought I, could we use that in the compost? What benefits might it have?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards
Paul.

Sawdust can be used to increase the carbon content of the mix so that you
have a good carbon/nitrogen ratio. Mixed with the finer greens,such as grass
clippings,it will help the composting process, in much the same way as
adding straw. I avoid using big wood chips in the heap cos they take ages to
decay.

Mary Fisher 08-11-2006 04:03 PM

"George.com" wrote in message

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation.
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast the
nitrogen supply.

We use wood shavings in our hen coops. Every three weeks the soiled shavings
are put in the compost, mixed with branch shreddings. There's never any
evidence of wood in the compost.

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

Mary

rob

Mike 08-11-2006 04:38 PM

sawdust or woodchips in compost?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

Mary

Is this recommended neat, diluted, direct or bottled ??? ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Alan Holmes 16-11-2006 05:34 PM

"George.com" wrote in message

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It
mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation.
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast
the
nitrogen supply.

We use wood shavings in our hen coops. Every three weeks the soiled
shavings are put in the compost, mixed with branch shreddings. There's
never any evidence of wood in the compost.

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

I didn't know spit had any nitrogen in it!

Alan