Old 06-11-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sawdust or woodchips in compost?

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
news
On a trip to a local timber yard I noticed they were selling large bags

of
what seemed to be rough sawdust or fine wood chips very cheaply. Aha,
thought I, could we use that in the compost? What benefits might it

have?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards
Paul.

Sawdust can be used to increase the carbon content of the mix so that you
have a good carbon/nitrogen ratio. Mixed with the finer greens,such as

grass
clippings,it will help the composting process, in much the same way as
adding straw. I avoid using big wood chips in the heap cos they take ages

decay.

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation. I
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast the
nitrogen supply.

rob

Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote in message
news
On a trip to a local timber yard I noticed they were selling large bags of
what seemed to be rough sawdust or fine wood chips very cheaply. Aha,
thought I, could we use that in the compost? What benefits might it have?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Regards
Paul.

Sawdust can be used to increase the carbon content of the mix so that you
have a good carbon/nitrogen ratio. Mixed with the finer greens,such as grass
clippings,it will help the composting process, in much the same way as
adding straw. I avoid using big wood chips in the heap cos they take ages to
decay.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation.
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast the
nitrogen supply.

We use wood shavings in our hen coops. Every three weeks the soiled shavings
are put in the compost, mixed with branch shreddings. There's never any
evidence of wood in the compost.

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

Mary

rob

Old 08-11-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

Mary

Is this recommended neat, diluted, direct or bottled ??? ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 16-11-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

I find the occasional bag of saw dust very good in a hot compost. It
mixes
together well and breaks down quite quickly. By the time to pile has gone
cold and nearly ok to use the saw dust is well on its way to degradation.
don't find small wood chip to be quite so good as they tend to outlast
the
nitrogen supply.

We use wood shavings in our hen coops. Every three weeks the soiled
shavings are put in the compost, mixed with branch shreddings. There's
never any evidence of wood in the compost.

You can up the nitrogen level in the compost heap by adding a Man-made
liquid.

I didn't know spit had any nitrogen in it!

Alan

vegetable garden in a plot overloaded with woodchips and sand westridgegarden Edible Gardening 1 04-06-2006 10:29 PM
Old Sawdust - not about sawdust that's for sure Salty Thumb Gardening 0 30-04-2004 03:03 AM
Efficacy of sawdust, was, Old Sawdust David J Bockman Gardening 1 28-04-2004 07:06 PM
Oak sawdust for compost? Joe Edible Gardening 5 26-08-2003 09:32 AM
Clay soil & sharp sand; Has anyone used woodchips? jt United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 02:05 PM