GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Near miss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/15104-near-miss.html)

Dominic 15-04-2003 11:32 PM

Near miss

I was planting out on the allotment today when I heard something thud
to the ground a few feet to the side of me. It sounded slightly heavy,
like a fist sized clod of earth or something. At first I wondered if
it was kids taking a pot shot at my greenhouse by lobbing something
over the high hedge.

It took me a little while to spot the object because it wasn't really
what I was expecting - a big dead rat :(

Guessing that this wasn't a rodent suicide or some kind of
Terminator-style experiment from the future, I assume that the poor
creature was dropped by a passing hawk.

I can't help thinking how deeply unpleasant it would have been if it
had landed on my head.

Dom

The Devil's Advocate 16-04-2003 06:20 AM

Near miss

Yikes, I know seagull's mess is supposed to be lucky but rat's droppings or
rather 'dropping rats 'is a whole new line!

:

Rod 16-04-2003 09:32 PM

Near miss

"Dominic" wrote in message
om...
I was planting out on the allotment today when I heard something thud
to the ground a few feet to the side of me. It sounded slightly heavy,
like a fist sized clod of earth or something. At first I wondered if
it was kids taking a pot shot at my greenhouse by lobbing something
over the high hedge.

It took me a little while to spot the object because it wasn't really
what I was expecting - a big dead rat :(

Not as nice as the guy working on his allotment had a meteorite land near
him - still hot when he went to pick it up.

Rod

Mike 16-04-2003 09:32 PM

Near miss

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
Yikes, I know seagull's mess is supposed to be lucky but rat's droppings or
rather 'dropping rats 'is a whole new line!

Raining rats and dogs? :-((

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

[email protected] 16-04-2003 10:09 PM

Near miss

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:20:23 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"Dominic" wrote in message
. com...
I was planting out on the allotment today when I heard something thud
to the ground a few feet to the side of me. It sounded slightly heavy,
like a fist sized clod of earth or something. At first I wondered if
it was kids taking a pot shot at my greenhouse by lobbing something
over the high hedge.

It took me a little while to spot the object because it wasn't really
what I was expecting - a big dead rat :(

Not as nice as the guy working on his allotment had a meteorite land near
him - still hot when he went to pick it up.

And when you try to tell people how exciting allotment gardening is,
they don't believe you!
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

[email protected] 16-04-2003 10:09 PM

Near miss

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:20:23 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"Dominic" wrote in message
. com...
I was planting out on the allotment today when I heard something thud
to the ground a few feet to the side of me. It sounded slightly heavy,
like a fist sized clod of earth or something. At first I wondered if
it was kids taking a pot shot at my greenhouse by lobbing something
over the high hedge.

It took me a little while to spot the object because it wasn't really
what I was expecting - a big dead rat :(

Not as nice as the guy working on his allotment had a meteorite land near
him - still hot when he went to pick it up.

Cue the 'blue ice' stories...