Old 22-11-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

Default Cotoneaster

I am trying to identify a pair of inherited cotoneasters.
Image at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/dsc01209.jpg
After some 15 years and only an annual trim to cut back straggling
stems they are now very compact mounds 30 inches across and 18 inches
tall.
Attractive but not profuse, short lived white, five petalled flowers
in June. Berries not held.
Definitely a foliage plant, rather than grown for flowers or berries.
Strongly evergreen, small shiny leaves, just over 0.5 inches long.
Remains dark shiny green all year round.

A sample taken to a local garden centre (which was responsible for
planting up the garden), was confidently identified as C.dammeri. -
That, it is not.

A Google search suggests that Cotoneaster x suecicus might be a
possibility but I can't find that one's growing habit.

Experts please, any suggestions that I can follow up?
Or, better, a positive identification. :-))
Thanks.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 16.11.2006

Old 22-11-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ned wrote:
[...]

Can't help with the ID but I have one that has red berries that blackbirds
love, it wouldn't be so bad but they then crap the seeds everywhere and they
are growing all over the place, between paving stones, in the lawn
etc...what do you mean 'berries not held'?, and how hard can they be cut
back? - mine seems like a triffid, every time I give it a trim it gets
bigger

Old 22-11-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

Phil L wrote:
ned wrote:
[...]

:-)
'berries not held' - that was me attempting a shorthand version of
'berries are not a long lasting feature of the shrub.' They do not
seem to fully develop and drop early.
And I know what you mean about the trifid properties of some plants
but mine are fairly constrained. What spread they achieve seems to
come from layering of lower branches.
I always reckon that the stronger something grows, the harder you can
cut it back.
If, during the battle to contain it, you kill it, then you have won.

--
ned