Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default which newspapers are best for composting?

Hi y'all

I've just got back from the garden where I've been forking out the
results of my first attempt at compost making - quite respectable if a
bit twiggy, so I'm reasonably pleased. I'd like to start adding
chopped up newspapers to my compost but I'm a bit nervous about this
because I read that a) the paper itself is bleached with chorine and b)
the printers ink can contain chemical nasties. I read The
Independent. I'm not sure how it rates in terms of compostability,
although its editorial policy is certainly very green. Any views?

Ken

Old 09-12-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi y'all

I've just got back from the garden where I've been forking out the
results of my first attempt at compost making - quite respectable if a
bit twiggy, so I'm reasonably pleased. I'd like to start adding
chopped up newspapers to my compost but I'm a bit nervous about this
because I read that a) the paper itself is bleached with chorine and b)
the printers ink can contain chemical nasties. I read The
Independent. I'm not sure how it rates in terms of compostability,
although its editorial policy is certainly very green. Any views?

Ken

go for the Sun and Sunday Post.............both are always full of Bullsh1t.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
" writes:

| I've just got back from the garden where I've been forking out the
| results of my first attempt at compost making - quite respectable if a
| bit twiggy, so I'm reasonably pleased. I'd like to start adding
| chopped up newspapers to my compost but I'm a bit nervous about this
| because I read that a) the paper itself is bleached with chorine and b)
| the printers ink can contain chemical nasties. I read The
| Independent. I'm not sure how it rates in terms of compostability,
| although its editorial policy is certainly very green. Any views?

Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is about the most environmently
friedly of household chemicals - it will not affect composting. And
it is pretty unlikely that there is anything very toxic in the ink,
as it is mainly black and matt, and carbon is the cheapest and safest
pigment around.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article . com,
" writes:

| I've just got back from the garden where I've been forking out the
| results of my first attempt at compost making - quite respectable if a
| bit twiggy, so I'm reasonably pleased. I'd like to start adding
| chopped up newspapers to my compost but I'm a bit nervous about this
| because I read that a) the paper itself is bleached with chorine and b)
| the printers ink can contain chemical nasties. I read The
| Independent. I'm not sure how it rates in terms of compostability,
| although its editorial policy is certainly very green. Any views?

Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is about the most environmently
friedly of household chemicals - it will not affect composting. And
it is pretty unlikely that there is anything very toxic in the ink,
as it is mainly black and matt, and carbon is the cheapest and safest
pigment around.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Agreed-but the debate centres around the production of dioxins as a result
of the use of chlorine in bleaching pulp.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default which newspapers are best for composting? (OT sarcasm)

Lez,

The question said 'newspapers'.

Keith

Old 09-12-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Agreed-but the debate centres around the production of dioxins as a result
| of the use of chlorine in bleaching pulp.

Hmm. My suspicion is that it is neglibible compared to the other sources,
given how many processes (and not just post industrial revolution ones)
produce dioxins.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| Agreed-but the debate centres around the production of dioxins as a
result
| of the use of chlorine in bleaching pulp.

Hmm. My suspicion is that it is neglibible compared to the other sources,
given how many processes (and not just post industrial revolution ones)
produce dioxins.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes it is negligible and furthermore some of the dioxins produced are
relatively harmless compared to the well studied nasty ones.
Burning any wood forms dioxins (the source of chlorine being chloride ions
in the wood ). Miniscule amounts but probably larger than anything you will
get in composted paper.

Using Newspapers As A Source Of Brown Material For Composting EVP MAN Gardening 3 13-03-2010 05:54 PM
different newspapers to read, please peter Australia 5 21-05-2005 11:14 PM
Old newspapers can "smother" wild strawberries! Earl Gardening 0 13-01-2005 10:15 PM
Using newspapers for mulch/weed control ? Al Dykes Edible Gardening 9 23-04-2004 10:02 AM