GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When do Philadelphuses flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/151622-when-do-philadelphuses-flower.html)

[email protected] 18-12-2006 04:06 PM

When do Philadelphuses flower?

I bought one from Wiko especially for its scented white flowers, oh
must be at least 4 years ago. It was about a year old at the time, and
still hasn't produced any flowers. Trouble is I don't have the
instruction label anymore, so I can't name what species of Philadelphus
it might be. Has anyone got one growing that can lend me some tips on
how to make it flower?

Thx very much,
AA
http://www.myspace.com/aa_spaceagent

MikeCT 18-12-2006 05:10 PM

When do Philadelphuses flower?

asked:
Has anyone got one growing that can lend me some tips on
how to make it flower?

---
Yes, don't prune way the young shoots as these will have the flowers for the
following year. Only cut out the old branches that have had flowers. The
same rule applies with Hydrangeas. Philadelphus flowers June to July.

MikeCT

[email protected] 18-12-2006 10:09 PM

MikeCT wrote:

Yes, don't prune way the young shoots as these will have the flowers for the
following year. Only cut out the old branches that have had flowers. The
same rule applies with Hydrangeas. Philadelphus flowers June to July.

Thanks. I don't actually plan to prune it at all, as I'd like it to
form part of a fencing hedge that's as dense as possible. I'm a bit
concerned that it hasn't flowered *at all* since I planted it a few
years back. It's in a really shaded part of the garden so I suppose
that could explain it somewhat.

I've got a Hydrangea as well, and that flowers abundantly even though
it's not really in full sun.

judith lea 18-12-2006 10:22 PM

wrote:

Thanks. I don't actually plan to prune it at all, as I'd like it to
form part of a fencing hedge that's as dense as possible. I'm a bit
concerned that it hasn't flowered *at all* since I planted it a few
years back. It's in a really shaded part of the garden so I suppose
that could explain it somewhat.

I have never pruned one of mine, it's up to the second floor of the
house and looks as if it will reach the third floor! It flowers every
year. I have bought a white clematis which I intend to plant near it
so that it too can scramble up through the branches. It is on the
North Eastern side of the house and subsequently gets partial shade. I
have two others in a different part of the garden and these have been
pruned, by me, with a hedge cutter as I wanted to keep them lowish.
They too flower profusely, so perhaps my neglect is good for them.