Old 18-12-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When do Philadelphuses flower?

I bought one from Wiko especially for its scented white flowers, oh
must be at least 4 years ago. It was about a year old at the time, and
still hasn't produced any flowers. Trouble is I don't have the
instruction label anymore, so I can't name what species of Philadelphus
it might be. Has anyone got one growing that can lend me some tips on
how to make it flower?

Thx very much,
AA
http://www.myspace.com/aa_spaceagent

Old 18-12-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

asked:
Has anyone got one growing that can lend me some tips on
how to make it flower?

---
Yes, don't prune way the young shoots as these will have the flowers for the
following year. Only cut out the old branches that have had flowers. The
same rule applies with Hydrangeas. Philadelphus flowers June to July.

MikeCT

Old 18-12-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

MikeCT wrote:

Yes, don't prune way the young shoots as these will have the flowers for the
following year. Only cut out the old branches that have had flowers. The
same rule applies with Hydrangeas. Philadelphus flowers June to July.

Thanks. I don't actually plan to prune it at all, as I'd like it to
form part of a fencing hedge that's as dense as possible. I'm a bit
concerned that it hasn't flowered *at all* since I planted it a few
years back. It's in a really shaded part of the garden so I suppose
that could explain it somewhat.

I've got a Hydrangea as well, and that flowers abundantly even though
it's not really in full sun.