Old 24-12-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default clematis cirrhosa

I wonder if anyone can put me straight on which variety of "clematis
cirrhosa" is scented.
Some years ago I was at Wisley on a damp, foggy day, just after
Christmas. Hardly anyone was there; magical!
Going up the rockery steps to the alpine houses I was drawn by a
strong scent. It was a clematis cirrhosa twined around the base of
the big oak tree there at the top. Plain flowers, not spotty, IIRC.
Since then I have sought one for myself. Two I have had have not had
scent, a friend's (Wisley cream) also has no scent. I have consulted
garden centres, books, web sites etc. I did ask at Wisley what theirs
is, but can not now remember what I was told.
One I have in full bloom now is a spotty one, no scent. HELP please.
Can anyone tell me the definitive answer please?

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-12-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can put me straight on which variety of "clematis
cirrhosa" is scented.
Some years ago I was at Wisley on a damp, foggy day, just after
Christmas. Hardly anyone was there; magical!
Going up the rockery steps to the alpine houses I was drawn by a
strong scent. It was a clematis cirrhosa twined around the base of
the big oak tree there at the top. Plain flowers, not spotty, IIRC.
Since then I have sought one for myself. Two I have had have not had
scent, a friend's (Wisley cream) also has no scent. I have consulted
garden centres, books, web sites etc. I did ask at Wisley what theirs
is, but can not now remember what I was told.
One I have in full bloom now is a spotty one, no scent. HELP please.
Can anyone tell me the definitive answer please?

Pam in Bristol

You have touched on a real issue, officially all are scented but, and its a
big but! not all the time and also not all people are equally sensitive to
the smell - to me they are all unscented while on the same day C.
fasiciiliflora is highly scented but I can be tell someone that in the
garden and they can not smell it.
My thinking is they are only likely to be scented on days when the flowers
stand some chance of pollination and that there may well be clones with more
noticeable scent.
Let us know if you track one down :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.