GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   blackberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/15175-blackberries.html)

ian 16-04-2003 12:20 PM

blackberries

Could anyone tell me an effective way of getting rid of blackberry and
brambles, my garden has them shooting up all over the place.

Thanks
Ian

Ophelia 16-04-2003 12:44 PM

blackberries

"ian" wrote in message
Could anyone tell me an effective way of getting rid of blackberry and
brambles, my garden has them shooting up all over the place.

Thanks
Ian

Wave your magic wand and send them to me. I have just planted one:))

Ophelia

dave @ stejonda 16-04-2003 03:45 PM

blackberries

In message , ian
writes
Could anyone tell me an effective way of getting rid of blackberry and
brambles, my garden has them shooting up all over the place.

Prune the shoots back to 4/5ft lengths then, wearing rubber gloves and
using a cloth apply glyphosate weed killer (diluted as per instructions)
onto both sides of the remaining leaves and stem. Wait the requisite two
weeks.

This is ideal weather to do this as the brambles will have started
growing well. The dead branches burn quickly and well.

--
dave @ stejonda

Nick Maclaren 16-04-2003 03:45 PM

blackberries

In article ,
"dave @ stejonda" writes:
| In message , ian
| writes
| Could anyone tell me an effective way of getting rid of blackberry and
| brambles, my garden has them shooting up all over the place.
|
| Prune the shoots back to 4/5ft lengths then, wearing rubber gloves and
| using a cloth apply glyphosate weed killer (diluted as per instructions)
| onto both sides of the remaining leaves and stem. Wait the requisite two
| weeks.
|
| This is ideal weather to do this as the brambles will have started
| growing well. The dead branches burn quickly and well.

Boggle. Why not just dig them up? They are very shallow rooted,
and most ones that grow in the UK don't regrow from their roots.
You can then glyphosate anything that escapes or reshoots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

dave @ stejonda 16-04-2003 06:56 PM

blackberries

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
"dave @ stejonda" writes:
| In message , ian
| writes
| Could anyone tell me an effective way of getting rid of blackberry and
| brambles, my garden has them shooting up all over the place.
|
| Prune the shoots back to 4/5ft lengths then, wearing rubber gloves and
| using a cloth apply glyphosate weed killer (diluted as per instructions)
| onto both sides of the remaining leaves and stem. Wait the requisite two
| weeks.
|
| This is ideal weather to do this as the brambles will have started
| growing well. The dead branches burn quickly and well.

Boggle. Why not just dig them up? They are very shallow rooted,
and most ones that grow in the UK don't regrow from their roots.
You can then glyphosate anything that escapes or reshoots.

Maybe I had the ones that did? This was however before the neighbour had
dealt with the infestation his side of the boundary so there was always
a source of new shoots.

--
dave @ stejonda

VivienB 16-04-2003 08:08 PM

blackberries

On 16 Apr 2003 14:33:11 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Boggle. Why not just dig them up? They are very shallow rooted,
and most ones that grow in the UK don't regrow from their roots.
You can then glyphosate anything that escapes or reshoots.

The brambles we have here definitely do regrow from their roots, as I
know of a number of places in this garden where I have repeatedly
tried to dig them out. Perhaps you mean from broken pieces of root?

While I agree brambles are shallow rooted, sometimes they manage to
root in places where it is not possible to get a fork under them to
get them out properly.

Regards, VivienB

Nick Maclaren 16-04-2003 08:32 PM

blackberries

In article ,
VivienB wrote:
On 16 Apr 2003 14:33:11 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Boggle. Why not just dig them up? They are very shallow rooted,
and most ones that grow in the UK don't regrow from their roots.
You can then glyphosate anything that escapes or reshoots.

The brambles we have here definitely do regrow from their roots, as I
know of a number of places in this garden where I have repeatedly
tried to dig them out. Perhaps you mean from broken pieces of root?

No, I meant what I said. The most common species of bramble tip in
and do not sucker, though I believe that the suckering species may
become the more common in the north. Which doesn't contradict what
you said.

While I agree brambles are shallow rooted, sometimes they manage to
root in places where it is not possible to get a fork under them to
get them out properly.

That is why I agree that you need to glyphosate the ones that escape
(as well as the regrowing suckers). But, generally, it is easier to
dig out brambles in the UK than glyphosate them by hand. The easiest
solution for large areas is to cut them down to ground level, and
then glyphosate the shoots. But that wasn't what the poster was
suggesting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steve Harris 17-04-2003 01:44 AM

blackberries

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

They are very shallow rooted

EOFL! Under the crown of mine, there are roots clearly destined for
Australia. Some are 1" in diameter and heading straight down.

Try this US site:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7434.html